Clutch Drive Gear Nut

Once that bolt is removed, should the gear easily come off? I'm wondering if it is bound. I, honestly, didn't hit it that hard, or try aggressively. I thought it would be better to do some research, and ask a few questions, before the "persuader" was pulled out. I think this week I'll look into it a little further.

Look at this picture I drew, left side, with gear resting above the shaft is good to tighten with not, after its been hammered nicely that is. If you gear surface rests below the shaft like on the right, then you NEED a spacer washer to fill the gap, else the gear will become loose and can damage itself, the shaft, or the clutch gear, or all 3 like what happened to me.

Attachments

• Note071016_1.jpg
    Note071016_1.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 180
It should not come off easily, you should have to use the gear puller to remove it, if it comes off with any ease then it's not on tightly enough even with the bolt. I will say that the tool of persuasion is rarely to be used on any part of these engines, I'd only ever use it to put that gear in place, to help split a crankcase, or to help put a crankcase together, that's it, sometimes with case seals too..

I read about your good times. Made me feel a little fortunate, it could have been worse. I'm sorry yours was a little more severe. Thanks for the lesson!

Was it fairly easy to find a replacement for that giant flathead? What was the thread pitch? I'll take it in tomorrow and see what I can find...

Thread I am unsure of, could be different for all I know, I know I found the bolt on another bike I had for parts, it just fit, take yours to home Depot or the likes, they usually have a few displays with threads on them/in them that you can use to match up with your parts, I know my head on that particular bolt is a 14mm, so my magnet nut and that bolt both come off with the same wrench

Looking for a little insight here...

I tried to "tap" the great down into place to no result? I then applied a bit more "tapping" power, but got no movement. Finally I smacked the hell out of it, and it won't seat any further?

The inner seam appears to be seated flush on the center post, maybe it's all the way on? Unfortunately I can't find anything that says divinitively how is supposed to be. I'm not sure what to think? Should I just replace the bolt and go for it?

Looking for a little insight here...

I tried to "tap" the great down into place to no result? I then applied a bit more "tapping" power, but got no movement. Finally I smacked the hell out of it, and it won't seat any further?

The inner seam appears to be seated flush on the center post, maybe it's all the way on? Unfortunately I can't find anything that says divinitively how is supposed to be. I'm not sure what to think? Should I just replace the bolt and go for it?
Flush after a good beating should be perfect, put the lock washer in, and bolt it down, if the original bolt is screwed up just toss it and replace with a her headed bolt, you'll be able to torque it down easier, which also means easier removal later (recently had to pull the bolt for somebody, had to grind down a piece of angle iron, and cut a bigger slot in the bolt, just to get the leverage we needed to get it out)

Not sure if I was clear. That picture is the final resting place. The inner portion looks flush, the gear is not flush with the large clutch gear, as you see

small gear is a bit wider than large gear - as long as the full tooth of the large gear are hitting the teeth of the small gear, you should be OK - small gear fits on the tapered portion of the shaft, so will be tight at whatever point it gets a good seat - important thing is that it doesn't have any 'wobble' motion as it turns

Back