Clutch??? Engine slipping. What do I need to know?

besides your prior frustration with DAX, before you do anything too drastic if the only problem is crude/oil/grease build up then i would take a breather and just address that issue by making a new cover or whatnot.

besides your prior frustration with DAX, before you do anything too drastic if the only problem is crude/oil/grease build up then i would take a breather and just address that issue by making a new cover or whatnot.
Yea, I wish I knew how. I don't do welding. And just tacking on a tin cover, obviously didn't do it. Looking closer at the clutch, I really don't see anything wrong with it other than it must have got hit with some oily substance.

Also… HOW does one get that thing off???? The bolt in the center, yea well the whole thing spins when you try to turn the bolt. I tried sticking screwdrivers in there, hoping I could pull in both directions, but no. What's the trick to this?

Here, this shows more clearly what I mean. NOTHING is actually covering the clutch at all. And the underside of that black cover is just open. It's only got a few metal (tin) bendy tabs holding it onto the transmission with bolts.
Very flimsy. I just don't know how to build a cover to actually fit this thing right.

IMG_0129.JPG

4-stroke-transmission_1.jpg

Something like this would be better. Everything is sealed. Completely. BUT it seems everyone is out of stock too. And I still am not sure it fits my bike.

Well just great. Bikeberry got the part in stock, I just got off the phone with them. Asked to measure across the bell, from bolt hole to bolt hole. MINE is 4 inches across, but theirs is 3.5.
Which means it won't fit!

Does ANYONE know who manufactures the titan motors thatsdax.com sells? That jerk won't answer me anymore.

Well just great. Bikeberry got the part in stock, I just got off the phone with them. Asked to measure across the bell, from bolt hole to bolt hole. MINE is 4 inches across, but theirs is 3.5.
Which means it won't fit!

Does ANYONE know who manufactures the titan motors thatsdax.com sells? That jerk won't answer me anymore.
I think its time you cut your losses it sounds like that engine isnt worth the trouble, let this be a learning tool to other would be suckers for this guy. I've spent hundreds on kits that ended up being worthless until I found the right manufacture for me, If I were you I would slap that engine back together and try and unload it on craigslist and get something that isn't a steaming pile of dogs**t

Yea, I've actually been emailing with him. What a looser. I'm pissed and it comes off in my notes and all he can focus on is how great his stuff is and why should anyone help when I "accused him of being on drugs."
(side note to that, it was when his mounting bolts were missing one and he forgot to pack the pedal crank. I jokingly said "were you high when you packed this?" It was a joke. I was still excited at the time not knowing what a steaming pile I was buying.)

Anyway, I found the exact same transmission on ebay that bikeberry sells. That seller measured for me and came up with the same measurements I did. I asked him one more question about grease inside and if I get a reply I'm buying it. THEN I'll buy the stronger clutch pads I saw on stanton. THEN I still have to figure out how to get my two pad thing OFF.
I did try again since my last post. My mechanic loaned me an impact driver and that got the center nut out easy peasy. BUT I need some kind of puller to remove the clutch. Didn't want to risk ruining it so left it alone. Cleaned the inside of the bell (which was BLACK.) and around the clutch pads as best as I could, put it all back together, and still. I don't have enough power to get out of the driveway. Gotta be the clutch. Either it's just plain binding up and not hitting the sides of the bell tight enough, or it's just warn from all the slipping. (It's slipped some on uphills since I got the thing.)

So… gonna throw more parts at this yet, and if that doesn't work, come spring, I'll get a whole new motor somewhere else.

So which one did you find to be the best? Kinda been looking at the flying horse. Open to suggestions though.

I really do think my motor is fine.

here, he DID give me a name Q-matic. Found this.
https://www.pistonbikes.com/EZ-MotorBike-Q-Matic-p/ezmhk.htm
Look at that transmission. INSANELY expensive, but… and I pointed this out to dax as well, the cover, actually covers the clutch. SEALED so not to get full of crud.

And… dispite all the made in the USA on that site, lookie. the motor is Huasheng. SO should fit every other part out there right????
Worth a shot. There is hope yet.

There should be an indention or small slot on the surface of the HS-142F behind the clutch. You take a minus screw driver and then use that as an anchor as you remove the bolt in the middle. In video below, at 07:30 he uses the indentation to tighten the bolt but it is the same operation to remove the bolt (of course in reverse).

To remove the clutch I use a sturdy minus screw driver and slip them behind the clutch. And, just give them a good push and rotate the position of the screwdriver 120 degrees until it pops out.

Okay from your picture I see your problem. I would first remove the clutch and clean that inside. If you can salvage the clutch do so as well. Next, I would see if you can fashion a cover for the gear reduction box that you have. If not then look for a new one.

lol lol lol.. I never hear the term "minus" screwdriver before. Had to look that up. Clever names actually but I've always known them to be phillips or flat head.
Ah what ever, just a name. And yes I tried that. Thing won't budge.

Meanwhile, new dual chain transmission and that stanton heavy duty clutch have both been ordered. I'll deal with getting the old one off when it all shows up.

yeah really bad habit for me; i call it minus and plus. i am sure the people in the shop are like wtf is this guy talking about. you tried it when the engine was cold right? metal can expand a little

Back