Clutch handle

weefek

Local time
4:38 AM
So, this has happened to my clutch handle.

Any recommendations for a good one? This one came with my GT5B kit and is the exact same one sold by CDH.

Threads are too loose, the nut has stripped, and I assume it's bad quality aluminum as it has bent.
20220527_160620[1].jpg

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
for $15 i'll order it just to see if it's the same or not. does nobody seriously run any other clutch handle??? there's only one?

Nope, you have the lever type lock, and I also had a push button type lock...there is also single lock, two and three position lock types as well.
I would prefer links to products to buy... literally the only one i've seen in the same one on CDH and the same one i've seen everywhere else. I can turn my own cable lock and nut if i have to but i really don't want to if i don't have to.

The aluminum on those handles are soft. I use handles exactly like that one. I have the single on the left..clutch, and double pull on the right for brakes. I keep the aluminum adjustors screwed all the way in and adjust the cables on the other ends....at the clutch arm and at both brakes. Doing it this way you'll never have a problem with the lever screw adjustors. This may not be the answer you're looking for but it prevents the little, soft aluminum adjustors from screwing up.
There are better quality cable pull handles but mostly won't be found on Ebay or Amazon. They are sold at bike shops and the prices will probably send most back looking on Ebay or Amazon.
The handles we have are sufficient for the job and the price is good. You just have to handle them in certain ways for it to last.
If you are determined to use the lever adjustor on those handles it is probably wise to take the screw adjustor off, make sure all threads are clean, carefully close the screw ring closed to where its fairly tight on the barrel thread , and keep it lubricated to prevent the aluminum from shredding tiny pieces between the threads. Then use it sparingly if you want it to last.
The aluminum adjustor is the same on button or 3 position lever locks.

Edit..

I had searched a while back and didn't use the right search terms. There's a bunch on Ebay that are priced in the range suitable for our use but I did not see lever locks on these sets.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
The aluminum on those handles are soft. I use handles exactly like that one. I have the single on the left..clutch, and double pull on the right for brakes. I keep the aluminum adjustors screwed all the way in and adjust the cables on the other ends....at the clutch arm and at both brakes. Doing it this way you'll never have a problem with the lever screw adjustors. This may not be the answer you're looking for but it prevents the little, soft aluminum adjustors from screwing up.
There are better quality cable pull handles but mostly won't be found on Ebay or Amazon. They are sold at bike shops and the prices will probably send most back looking on Ebay or Amazon.
The handles we have are sufficient for the job and the price is good. You just have to handle them in certain ways for it to last.
If you are determined to use the lever adjustor on those handles it is probably wise to take the screw adjustor off, make sure all threads are clean, carefully close the screw ring closed to where its fairly tight on the barrel thread , and keep it lubricated to prevent the aluminum from shredding tiny pieces between the threads. Then use it sparingly if you want it to last.
The aluminum adjustor is the same on button or 3 position lever locks.

Edit..

I had searched a while back and didn't use the right search terms. There's a bunch on Ebay that are priced in the range suitable for our use but I did not see lever locks on these sets.

You're right, 100%. I should have done that from the beginning. This is my first kit so I'm willing to make mistakes. I may try and revive the threads enough to have them all the way in and stay there whether it be locktite or a lock pin or who knows. As long as it's consistent.

The chinesium aluminum is softer than f***ing lead. The thread profile is terrible. I like the handle, aside from this problem. Thanks for the link regardless of how insanely long it is :ROFLMAO:

To be honest it's the same problem I've had on my pedal widening kit- the pin that's supposed to keep the drive sprocket on the shaft is super soft chinesium aluminum and has broken off so I'm making my own beveled bolt. I'm used to professional industrial stuff which even china stuff is fairly good, new realms for me....

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
God damn cheap ass 'wide pedal' kits with the ridiculous 'wedge' to lock the sprocket into place. Well it broke as the previous post says. I ground down some random VW bolt to fit. (I've owned a lot of 80s and 90s VWs over the years and have bags on bags and jugs on jugs of bolts / hardware).

I've also have to tighten the bearings every single trip I've made.

I've put about 15km with this setup and it seems solid so hopefully it'll hold.

I'm at 156~ km (97mi) total

Attachments

• 20220607_003234.jpg
    20220607_003234.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 76
Back