Clutch Clutch Issue

Aikaru

Local time
4:59 AM
So upon the many other quirks and issues I've had to work out on my bike, the clutch seems to be another big issue. I started noticing whenever I dropped the clutch (engaged it) while pedaling, the chain would go over probably 5 teeth before you would hear a very VERY weak piston turnover. The clutch feels extremely spongy. However, when the engine is warm, it seems to start right up. With that being said, the RPMs do not match acceleration whatsoever. Not to mention, my clutch squeaks extremely loud when disengaged. I have to tighten the starnut a little extra because the plate will not grab onto the pads otherwise...is my clutch slipping? (Also I believe I probably messed up my whole clutch when I had sprayed WD-40 all in the clutch instead of brake cleaner)

I have to tighten the starnut a little extra because the plate will not grab onto the pads otherwise...is my clutch slipping? (Also I believe I probably messed up my whole clutch when I had sprayed WD-40 all in the clutch instead of brake cleaner)
Are you kidding me???

Disassemble the entire clutch assembly and degrease everything...Throw out the clutch pads and order new ones...Hopefully degreasing the clutch plate will help it grab again, if not order a new one...It might also be a good idea to ask the help of a mechanically inclined friend before going any further.

Your last statement, (that i marked in red), should have been your first statement on this issue as it explains it all to me...This is very much a self-inflicted problem, hence why i advised you to have a mechanically inclined friend to help you with this project before you really hurt yourself...DAMIEN

I already ordered some new pads...also not to sound arrogant, but I am very mechanically inclined, just not in the aspect of motorized bikes (It's brand new territory) also the WD-40 thing, I was watching a video on clutch adjustments and I thought he was using WD-40, but it was brake cleaner, so it was more an accident. I knew I screwed it up after I sprayed it inside.

Are you kidding me???

Disassemble the entire clutch assembly and degrease everything...Throw out the clutch pads and order new ones...Hopefully degreasing the clutch plate will help it grab again, if not order a new one...It might also be a good idea to ask the help of a mechanically inclined friend before going any further.

Your last statement, (that i marked in red), should have been your first statement on this issue as it explains it all to me...This is very much a self-inflicted problem, hence why i advised you to have a mechanically inclined friend to help you with this project before you really hurt yourself...DAMIEN
Do you think cleaning the entire assembly with brake cleaner, drying it off and installing fresh pads will restore the clutch's grip?

Do you think cleaning the entire assembly with brake cleaner, drying it off and installing fresh pads will restore the clutch's grip?
Hopefully it should, provided there is not a further revelation in knowledge of this clutch situation to know about...lol.

I already ordered some new pads...also not to sound arrogant, but I am very mechanically inclined, just not in the aspect of motorized bikes (It's brand new territory) also the WD-40 thing, I was watching a video on clutch adjustments and I thought he was using WD-40, but it was brake cleaner, so it was more an accident. I knew I screwed it up after I sprayed it inside.
I have read all your threads and posts...read all the difficulties you have been experiencing since the beginning...I have also offered help and advice to you where i could.

I stand by my statement of you needing help from someone...These bikes maybe considered "brand new territory" to you, but the basic principles auto/bike mechanics and know-how still apply for the "mechanically inclined".

No insult intended here, but i stand by my previous statements...DAMIEN

No no I mean, I understand. But I will still continue to do this by myself, even if I mess something up horribly. The whole point of me doing this was to get a solid understanding of motors, etc etc. I'm only 16 too, so I guess I couldn't even call myself mechanically inclined if I started at 4 years old lol.

I'm only 16 too, so I guess I couldn't even call myself mechanically inclined if I started at 4 years old lol.
Good, now thats better, now we might be in a better position to be of help to you here...lol...Many people here in this forum have decades of automotive/motorcycle/motorised bicycle experience here...You just need to slow down a little, reason things out, and ask questions FIRST if you haven't done it before or just don't know an answer or how something is supposed to work...lol.

Don't be afraid to ask questions and for God's sake, make sure that mistakes like WD-40 etc, are told to us right off the bat so we can help you minimise the problems/fallout resulting...lol...DAMIEN

Gotcha, that was the reason I came on here, because I knew I could get advice from folk like you who have been doing it way longer and have lots of experience. And noted, the good news is the things I learn to do and not to do, I remember, and my bike is slowly getting closer to perfectly working.

Back