Clutch issues, again.

Josh_wilcoxx

Local time
4:24 PM
For the 78th time or whatever, I'm having clutch issues on my two stroke. I can only go about 10-15 miles before I have to heavily adjust it. Everything seems tight and not slipping much so I have no idea what's going on. I'll adjust my clutch as good as I can with a little bit of slack in the cable, then a couple miles later there's a ton of slack and it won't fully engage or disengage. The set screw for the star(I think that's what it's called) nut that holds the clutch disk is in place and tight.

For the 78th time or whatever, I'm having clutch issues on my two stroke. I can only go about 10-15 miles before I have to heavily adjust it. Everything seems tight and not slipping much so I have no idea what's going on. I'll adjust my clutch as good as I can with a little bit of slack in the cable, then a couple miles later there's a ton of slack and it won't fully engage or disengage. The set screw for the star(I think that's what it's called) nut that holds the clutch disk is in place and tight.
I would say possibly your cable is slipping in clutch arm & or cable stop is. Or your clutch cable is stretching badly. I run very little cable slack in my clutch cable thou.

Adjust your clutch cable up again properly. Then mark your cable at the clutch arm or cable stop with a red or yellow paint marker. Then go ride it & see if your mark starts to move.

Adjust your clutch cable up again properly. Then mark your cable at the clutch arm or cable stop with a red or yellow paint marker. Then go ride it & see if your mark starts to move.
The little screw that comes on the arm is very unreliable, get a cable stop. I've had that screw split the arm. I bend the tail of the cable into a little "S" and tuck it into itself. That way you can tell if it's slipping.

The little screw that comes on the arm is very unreliable, get a cable stop. I've had that screw split the arm. I bend the tail of the cable into a little "S" and tuck it into itself. That way you can tell if it's slipping.
How far in should my clutch arm be?

Attachments

• DSCN0186.JPG
    DSCN0186.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 112
When adjusting the flower nut on the clutch, make sure that you have the clutch lever pulled in and locked in place.

Tighten the flower nut until you can't turn the back wheel at all, from there, turn the nut counter clockwise a "notch" at a time until you get the wheel to turn freely by hand and stop right there and put the lock screw back in place at that notch where the wheel just starts to turn freely.

When you release the lever it should of course be totally locked up and at this point you should have all the slippage out of it.

When adjusting the flower nut on the clutch, make sure that you have the clutch lever pulled in and locked in place.

Tighten the flower nut until you can't turn the back wheel at all, from there, turn the nut counter clockwise a "notch" at a time until you get the wheel to turn freely by hand and stop right there and put the lock screw back in place at that notch where it the wheel just starts to turn freely.

When you release the lever it should of course be totally locked up and at this point you should have all the slippage out of it.
That's the best I've heard that explained, (y) Easy to understand explanation

Back