Clutch issues

G

grant

My clutch STINKS. Brand new kit. Has been HARD to start since day one. Probably has 10 miles on it.

Basically when I start peddling and drop the clutch it slips and only every 10 feet or so does the engine turn over. The disc is slipping a LOT! When the engine fires up it runs perfectly. I am very good with tools and vehicles. The clutch was adjusted perfectly. I even disconnected the clutch lever completely, cranked the nut WAY in on the metal plate and peddled the bike around the yard (kind of hard). It STILL slips.

I've removed the spring that pushes the metal side of the clutch and that helped a little. I've tried to disassemble the clutch to add a heavier spring to pull the metal plate and friction plate together, but it seems I have to take the engine in half to get to the return spring? Is this correct?

What is the funny inner/outer nut puller tool for that came with the kit?

Is it possible that during the initial starting attempts the little clutch pads were damaged? Right now they are smooth and kind of shiny. Should I buff them up and scratch up the metal plate?

Anyone else have problems with their clutch? I can actually peddle around the yard with the lever completely out and NOT have the engine turn over!!! :eek: :eek: :mad:

It climbs good and jerks pretty hard when I spike the throttle, it just seems like the compression stroke is enough to make it slip.

I would like to be able to let out the clutch and if the engine doesn't turn over the rear wheel should lock up!

Sand the organic pads lightly with some 220 paper. Don't sand the metal face.
Double check all adjustments.
If all else fails, contact your seller.

im haveing that problem to ill be going at a good speed to start i release the cluch and the motor dose not turn over but the back wheel and the chain are moveing. i dont get it but i try again and it dos eit again for a sec then it starts up. thats the problem your talking about right grant?

would an automatic cluch solve the problem at all?

Try cleaning the little orange pads with spray break cleaner. If they get grease on them they will slip. You can spray the cleaner on the clutch plates as well. It won't hurt anything and will degrease it very well.

You described my problem. I don't think my seller will help any at all. I got it cheap off ebay.

I might try "upgrading" the clutch to be a dog clutch. It doesn't ever need to slip as far as I am concerned. I'm just worried about breaking something. :)

Jeff, Grant, I don't know if this will help, but it may- Try backing the bike up with the clutch out until it goes up against the compression stroke, then pull the clutch in and give 'er hell. That little "running start" on the piston may help you.

Let me know if it does.

i actually just cleaned off the clutch with some brake cleaner it helped 100 percent. thx mike for the help :D

I sanded off the clutch, no real improvement. I rode through some snow and the clutch was slipping a lot. Its funny...The engine runs PERFECT. I can drive the thing at 3-5mph with the 50 tooth sprocket with no problems (clutch doesn't slip on flat surfaces).

I have a few ideas for making my own clutch. If I ever do them I will post pictures. Right now I am going to assemble the grubee 4 cylinder honda kit and see if I like that better. I might remove the springs from the centrifugal clutch and see if it will drive at idle as good as the 2 cycle version.

Hey Grant, how'd that Grubee 4 stroke kit work out for you. Just wondering if your gear box was as noisy as mine and if you found any way to quiet it down. I sealed my case and added a couple ounces of Lucas gear oil and it did help with the noise but also caused clutch slippage so it takes longer to get up to speed.

Back