Clutch issues

Communistic

Local time
12:02 PM
I've so far burnt out two cheap Chinese clutches within a week or two of using them. One was a three winged clutch which one of the springs self destructed causing the bike to permanently engage and the second was a 2 winged which completely wore out to the point of slippage.

Recently I purchased a super Duty clutch from Staton-Inc and installed in expecting it to give a good take off like the Chinese ones did originally. But the bike doesn't roll fast or accelerate well at all! Do I need to change out the clutch springs? I don't understand why it's slipping.

The transmission I am using is the dual chain transmission from bikeberry.com that came with the engine.
The engine itself is a 49cc 4 stroke huansheng with a tapered shaft.
The sprocket on the transmission is 10 tooth and the one on the wheel is 44 tooth (planning on replacing the 44 with a 56 soon)

I've so far burnt out two cheap Chinese clutches within a week or two of using them. One was a three winged clutch which one of the springs self destructed causing the bike to permanently engage and the second was a 2 winged which completely wore out to the point of slippage.

Recently I purchased a super Duty clutch from Staton-Inc and installed in expecting it to give a good take off like the Chinese ones did originally. But the bike doesn't roll fast or accelerate well at all! Do I need to change out the clutch springs? I don't understand why it's slipping.

The transmission I am using is the dual chain transmission from bikeberry.com that came with the engine.
The engine itself is a 49cc 4 stroke huansheng with a tapered shaft.
The sprocket on the transmission is 10 tooth and the one on the wheel is 44 tooth (planning on replacing the 44 with a 56 soon)
Id get a belt driver personally, those chain drive ones are not geared low enough (typical belt drive ones are 10:1, the chain drives are at most 3:1)

The reason your burning so many clutches is because your geared so high that the motor is struggling to move the bike, which in turn results in lower rpm and a slipping clutch (becuase the motor cant turn the rpms it needs to fully engage).

Get the 56t and that should bring you closer to what you need.

Id get a belt driver personally, those chain drive ones are not geared low enough (typical belt drive ones are 10:1, the chain drives are at most 3:1)

The reason your burning so many clutches is because your geared so high that the motor is struggling to move the bike, which in turn results in lower rpm and a slipping clutch (becuase the motor cant turn the rpms it needs to fully engage).

Get the 56t and that should bring you closer to what you need.
The belt drives are 5 to 1 (20 teeth to 100 teeth) or 4 to 1 so not 10 to 1

You are correct about being geared too high burning his clutch.
If the chain drive is exactly 3 to 1 plus 10 to 44 on 26" wheels then redline of 8000 is 47 mph
A 56 tooth sprocket will drop top speed down to 37 mph at 8000. 32 mph at 7000

If you swapped to a 20" rear wheel you would have almost the same acceleration and top speed as switching to a 56t on your 26" rear wheel. It almost seems like the 3:1 trannies with the 44t sprocket on the wheel setup is made for a 20" wheel. Only problem is... there is no 20" bike that can hold that setup, no room. Gotta do chop n weld stuff, or have the engine outside of the frame.

Alright. I will definitly be getting a belt drive once I can afford it... Hopefully within the next few weeks.... 56 tooth sprocket won't be coming in the mail till later too so Ill have to put this on wait.

Been having nothing but issues with this four stroke kit but it's definitly forcing me to learn things.

Sorry for late reply have been quite busy.

Back