Clutch issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

foglght

Local time
10:36 AM
I've read quite a few threads on this and followed a few procedures to try and fix, but nothing is working.

The kit is maybe a week old and I've ridden it 4 times for very short distances. During the 3'rd ride I noticed the clutch slipping at moderate rpms. After I shut the bike off to check a few other things was when the problems really started. The bike would not restart. When I release the clutch it just slips and will not turn the motor over.

At first I thought it was the engine being flooded. Pulled the plug and ran it for a while. That wasn't it. The clutch does hold with no compression and can hear the motor turning over.

Then I went down a youtube rabbit hole with every video about adjusting clutches. I have fiddled around with the adjustment nut at least 15 times now.

I then took the cover off and looked at the pads. They look.......um.....cheap but that isn't surprising. I took them all out. Nuclear soaked the whole area with brake cleaner and the pads. Let everything dry. I even took a cleaner disc to the clutch plate, which appeared to have some grease on it. Even cleaned the inside area of the clutch plate.

Put it all back together and it started right up. After about 5 minutes, the clutch was slipping again; to the point of not being able to climb any grade and barely limping home.

More youtube videos later and I adjusted the inner spring holding the collar with a drift punch and using a 19mm on the nut for the chain sproket. I went in half turn intervals and it was starting to feel really tight (about 2 full turns). At that point I just put my weight on the bike and rolled in the garage. The clutch still slips. It will not grab enough to turn the motor over.

The keys seem to be intact as the drive gear (larger one) is not spinning on its own.

I don't think I have any more adjustments to do and am really frustrated. I just don't see what I did wrong. Are the clutch pads just that bad? Do I now have to go buy new stuff for a basically brand new bike kit?

I gave mine a good clean and then roughed up the plate with a file before assembling. It has always been okay.
I would suspect grease contamination.
I think, unfortunately, the pads may be ruined. 😕

But you always need stuff for the 2 stroke, it isnt a complete and adequate and useable and safe kit from that box. Its mostly junk. ☺

My guess is your clutch pads need the edges sanded down so the pads go threw the holes in the big gear and grip the back plate they are weged shaped mine were that way it helps I'll say that

I have fiddled around with the adjustment nut at least 15 times now.
Did you pull the clutch handle and then adjust the nut til its snug ?

My guess is your clutch pads need the edges sanded down so the pads go threw the holes in the big gear and grip the back plate they are weged shaped mine were that way it helps I'll say that
They are very wedged in there.

I've adjusted the flower nut with the clutch engaged till snug, then one notch more than that.

Did you do this yet ?... Go to 18:20 on Don's video

yes, I've done it on both ends. I started with rolling the bike backwards. It got to the point of me not being able to add enough weight to roll it back any further.

Then I went to the other end and put a 19mm on the sproket and cranked down about a 1/2 turn each time; basically until i had a hard time pulling the clutch lever.

Just tried filing the clutch pads down and scuffing the plate up. Now its way worse. I think some of the pads have high spots on them now. and it won't even remotely turn the engine over.

It would be nice to know how much spring pressure is supposed to be on the clutch so I could calculate a torque on the bolt. Then I would easily be able to figure that part out.

In the video.. You went to far tight... re watch the video
I understand it was too tight for riding around normally. I just wanted to see if it would grab. I could still pull the lever, it was just really heavy. Still didn't turn the motor over. Seems like the spring is still very much in tact as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back