Clutch issues

I wonder if the clutch basket gear is not tight, key way missing. Cisco is right by the photo. Might also be a defect.

This is how I adjust MY clutch...
I pull the clutch handle in and adjust the flower nut til its snug and I'm good to go. (y)
This is not how to fully adjust the clutch for best results, and this sounds more like a pre load issue rather than cable adjustment. So to adjust the pre load you'll need to remove the clutch cable from the arm and lug then remove the lug to expose the adjuster ring on the clutch shaft itself, you then stick a punch or screwdriver into the notch on adjuster/tensioner ring and roll the bike backwards for about three to four full turns (you'll feel it getting tighter) reassemble and do the cable adjust again but this time pull the hand lever to the lock and tighten the flower nut but do so by pushing in the outer clutch plate and just snugging the flower nut up not tight as you want it to slip with the lever pulled into or past the locked position, there should be just a slight bit of play when done correctly and when lever is released the preload will lock it up.

@Kaidetyson Notice how my bevel gears mesh, and how close the large gear is to the case. (Note: Add a dollop of high temp grease to the bevel gears). Grease the bucking bar and throughout lever (CAM). Soak your chain in an oil bath for a day. Hang it up and let it drip out for a few hours. Mine languished in a oil bath for a few days while I was re-mounting the engine. Make sure your chain tensioner is secure. I used a self tapping machine screw. But before you button it down, make sure the chain lines up well. If not, the chain will want to climb off the gears. Just a few suggestions, I hope you can get your bike together soon ;-)

Attachments

• P1020267.JPG
    P1020267.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 85
  • P1020268.JPG
    P1020268.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 108
  • P1020271.JPG
    P1020271.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 88
  • P1020274.JPG
    P1020274.JPG
    179.1 KB · Views: 118
  • P1020280.JPG
    P1020280.JPG
    175 KB · Views: 85
  • P1020278.JPG
    P1020278.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 98
  • P1020279.JPG
    P1020279.JPG
    190 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Soak your chain in an oil bath for a day. Hang it up and let it drip out for a few hours. Mine languished in a oil bath for a few days while I was re-mounting the engine.
Ive never thought about an oil bath for my chains...since my first motorcycle in the early 1970s til now with my motorised bikes, i have never done this...in fact, i only do my chains up with WD-40 periodically...i have never had to replace a chain except for extreme modifications to the bike i was making and i have never had a broken or excessively worn out chain and only wore out one sprocket on many bikes through 5 decades.

What am i doing wrong here ???...lol...lol...DAMIEN

Make sure your chain tensioner is secure. I used a self tapping machine screw.
Ive seen this done before, the only thing i would beware of is metal fatigue on the frame where the hole is drilled through due to cheap metal, cheap frames.

Due to vibrations etc. when a hole is drilled through the frame like this, i have seen the end results, over time, of other peoples bikes where the frame snapped where the hole was drilled...This happens with cheap frames...Not a pretty site, the bike as well as visiting friend in hospital with multiple injuries resulting...DAMIEN

Your pic below that im referring to Cisco.

Attachments

• P1020278.JPG
    P1020278.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 94
It's just a #8 screw and one small hole. I can't imagine it causing a problem. Just don't make swiss cheese out of your frame ;-) Also, regarding oiling the chain, I noticed the OP's chain was pretty rusty.

It's just a #8 screw and one small hole. I can't imagine it causing a problem. Just don't make swiss cheese out of your frame ;-)
On one of my own bikes, the manufacturer of the HUFFY beach cruiser i had, drilled two small holes in the part of the frame that goes from the seat to the pedal crank for an "optional", add on water bottle which i never bought or installed...it took 5 years and 6 thousand miles of riding but the frame snapped clean off...right where the factory drilled holes were bored through...If that is happening with "approved" factory drilled holes, how about the ones drilled with your black and decker...lol...DAMIEN

Ps...This is why i have the bike im now riding, all because of this.

It should also be noted that with my present build, i custom made the chain so as to not have any tensioner at all...direct connect all the way.

IMG_0348.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I noticed that from another picture you posted. You really set it up nicely. I am quite envious ;-)
Here is the same bike, (before i put on the mags and disk brakes and eliminated the spring tensioner), when i first built it in May 2020...The new modifications, (including the custom made front motor mount), didnt happen until Feb. 2021...DAMIEN

Attachments

• DSCN0172.JPG
    DSCN0172.JPG
    248.4 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCN0173.JPG
    DSCN0173.JPG
    260.9 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCN0174.JPG
    DSCN0174.JPG
    270.8 KB · Views: 86
  • DSCN0175.JPG
    DSCN0175.JPG