Clutch issues

Fleagle101

Local time
7:13 AM
Hello. I'm new to motorized bicycles, but know a thing or two about 2 stroke motors.
My question is about clutch engagement.
I purchased a kit and put it together with no problems. I went to try and start it and almost blew my knee out because the clutch grabbed so hard. So I take off the left side cover and adjust the flower nut counterclockwise one notch and tried it again, with pretty much the same result. I kept doing this until from one notch to the next clutch to no clutch. So I tried micro adjusting with the cable. Same thing happens. Am I missing something basic here, short in the knowledge department or just mentally challenged?
Do I need to take the engine down to get to the innards of the clutch or something else?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any input.

Hello. I'm new to motorized bicycles, but know a thing or two about 2 stroke motors.
My question is about clutch engagement.
I purchased a kit and put it together with no problems. I went to try and start it and almost blew my knee out because the clutch grabbed so hard. So I take off the left side cover and adjust the flower nut counterclockwise one notch and tried it again, with pretty much the same result. I kept doing this until from one notch to the next clutch to no clutch. So I tried micro adjusting with the cable. Same thing happens. Am I missing something basic here, short in the knowledge department or just mentally challenged?
Do I need to take the engine down to get to the innards of the clutch or something else?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any input.
Welcome to the site. Adjust the free length of the cable at the clutch arm until there is resistance at the grip, make sure the retaining screw is tight. Squeeze and lock the lever in place. Remove the right side cover and flower nut retaining screw, turn the flower nut in until it makes contact with the pads then back it off to the first available notch to put the screw back in.

Every once in awhile the clutch shaft will be frozen to the casing.

I think maybe you're trying to use the bike pedals like a kickstart?? That won't work. Build up a bit of speed and slowly let out the clutch.

I think maybe you're trying to use the bike pedals like a kickstart?? That won't work. Build up a bit of speed and slowly let out the clutch.
Oh sure you can, I lift my bike by the rear rack and kick down on the pedals all the time. Bike has to run good though or you might hurt yourself.

Back