Engine Trouble Clutch Lever Shaft

Benson

Local time
5:26 AM
Need some help fixing this problem. While driving today my clutch lever shaft popped upward causing the clutch to be inoperative and locking up the rear wheel. I was able to reinsert the shaft and attach the cable and drive safely back home but I notice now that the shaft keeps sliding upward slightly and is not securely in the hole. How do I keep the shaft in place? I was not able to crack open the cover to see what was going on since the screwdrivers I had with me were not doing the job. Attached is a picture of the shaft in question..... spx_file001.gif

I had the same trouble on an old engine of mine.

There's a small retaining pin that holds that actuator arm in place. They're quite small and seem kinda soft. Yours has folded up and broken.

I never did fix it. I rode it that way until the engine died. Every now and then that arm would pop up. I'd open that cover, put everything back in place and ride it like that for, say, a month until it did it again.

That's not the best remedy, of course. But the good news is that this is an ailment that can be lived with.

I've had good luck in drilling right thru the case where the pin was & putting in a thin machine screw with a nut on the inside.

at one point i just mounted a handy spring in the right spot... or pushed it back in just before stopping :giggle:

the bolt right through is best suggestion ;)

And maybe your cable is pulling the shaft up? The attachment point of the cables casing is too high? Mine is level, the cable and case, that is, it doesn't pull up or down. If I could get the cable lower I would, but level is the best I could do and have not had a problem.

Back