Clutch lever

Daniel1801

Local time
7:24 AM
i was wondering if I could change the stock clutch lever to a bike brake lever with a locking pin or is it different?

Also what lever should I upgrade to.
It's the same thing, I haven't seen a locking brake lever for the left side of a bike though, so that would be something unique and probably hard to come cross, I do recommend the "extended" reach version with a small lever actuated by the pointer/index finger rather than the somewhat unusual button thing. Bicycle_motor_works on eBay has them and you can probably find them on other vendors too.

I like it and has a form of adjustment I would call it, unlike the button version when you squeeze the lever and the grips are too big and the lever doesn't go in all the way you can't press the button in and lock it, and often they slip out and jolt your bike and suddenly stops the motor which can kill it, anyway the finger lever can be bent slightly one way or the other so when you squeeze the clutch and pull the lever the locking part of it lines up perfectly with the catch without being too loose or overshooting and not catching at all.

The long lever helps too since I only like using 2 fingers usually on it so the extra length makes that easier.

I like the one with the black lever blade with the red inset. It has a locking lever on the front like a little trigger, instead of a button on the too, which means it is easier to reach when its positioned under the rear brake lever (which I think is the correct place for it). I found them on UK eBay for £4.50 so I'm sure you will find them easily in the USA too.

Edit: Frankenstein beat me to it.
And yes right it's much more secure and won't/ can't accidentally release due to a bit of vibration.

But the button locked ones are also sold as bicycle parking button brake levers. I got a Sturmey Archer one hoping the quality would be good. It wasn't.

Last edited:
I like the one with the black lever blade with the red inset. It has a locking lever on the front like a little trigger, instead of a button on the too, which means it is easier to reach when its positioned under the rear brake lever (which I think is the correct place for it). I found them on UK eBay for £4.50 so I'm sure you will find them easily in the USA too.

And yes right it's much more secure and won't/ can't accidentally release due to a bit of vibration.

But the button locked ones are also sold as bicycle parking button brake levers. I got a Sturmey Archer one hoping the quality would be good. It wasn't.
They probably didn't think they would sell many of them at all and decided hell with quality, possibly even took a dive with it too since who the heck actually needs a parking brake on a bicycle of all things, I thought a handicap sign and some chain WAS the parking brake.

Also put a Drip of blue locktite on that nut that keeps the spring and lock lever in place, believe me it's waaaayyy easier than stopping to try to track down a little tab and a spring that flew off your bike suddenly while riding down the road.

They probably didn't think they would sell many of them at all and decided hell with quality, possibly even took a dive with it too since who the heck actually needs a parking brake on a bicycle of all things, I thought a handicap sign and some chain WAS the parking brake.
A bike can be easier to park on a kickstand, especially with some weight on the rear rack or basket.
Also parking on a hill even if you're only leaning the bike against a wall. Just more convenient to press a button than put a band over the lever.
Also pedicabs are easier to get your passengers on if you can stand out of their way a bit more..
I never used a parking brake personally.

A bike can be easier to park on a kickstand, especially with some weight on the rear rack or basket.
Also parking on a hill even if you're only leaning the bike against a wall. Just more convenient to press a button than put a band over the lever.
Also pedicabs are easier to get your passengers on if you can stand out of their way a bit more..
I never used a parking brake personally.
Good points lol.. I often use the parking brake because I don't have a kickstand (they just shake out regardless or bend stupidly under the weight of the bike) so I lock it and lean it against something so it doesn't roll out from under itself. Also helps when I get on or off the bike on a hill, or stop at a light on a hill and don't want to hang onto the bar to stay still.

Do they make one for each side or just one?

Back