Clutch Clutch locked up? How do I fix quickly?

Rhino A

Local time
4:36 AM
I was on my way to work as I am every day, 40 miles round trip with no problems, constant maintenance and care on my bike.

I pulled in the clutch lever to coast at a red light, got the green, still with some speed I noticed the engine stops, kinda odd as it should have been idling, and hasn't cut out mid idle before.

Go to dump the clutch and get her fired up again, still moving, dump the clutch and the rear wheel totally locks up, brings me to a skidding stop.

And here I am now having walked it the rest of the way to work, tried it a couple more times and same incident occurred. What is going on? My only guess is the clutch, gearing or flower nut, but I'm thrown off as to why this happened so suddenly with no forewarning sign.

Please help, I gotta get her back 20 miles tonight, but I am prepared with a backpack full of tools.

Sounds like your chain might be jammed.

Check it, behind the engine cover, on the chain side.

Be careful NOT to lose the pin & ball bearing, when you take the cover off.

good luck.

Thanks for the help, I would have checked that first, but it will freewheel, or coast when the clutch is in, its when I go to friction start the motor, its just hitting a wall, wont budge.

doesn't sound like a clutch problem, pull the plug and try to spin the engine
from the wheel with the clutch engauged...did the piston seize ?
pull the r/s cover to see if the output gear tries to move and the crank doesn't.

I will check that ASAP, but already sounds like whats going on, that would explain the weird change in power before the engine cut out when I pulled in the clutch. Is this a timely fix or something I can do
today in about an hr or less?

Disregard what I posted earlier..... If the chain was jammed, you'd get no freewheeling.

Try what Schwinnspastic suggested.

Quick fix?

Pull the plug, Try spinning the engine. It kinda sounds like you froze a piston. I hope not, but you may be able to get by with only a new jug and rings if everything else is still tight.
Good luck,
Big Red.

I will check that ASAP, but already sounds like whats going on, that would explain the weird change in power before the engine cut out when I pulled in the clutch. Is this a timely fix or something I can do
today in about an hr or less?

Replacing cylinder and piston/rings
Depending on your ability, I can change the jug and piston in less then a hour, this also includes checking the head for flatness...milling the head. Can be done with the engine installed on some bikes..others need to be removed due to lack of clearance for cylinder removal. Best with a helping hand but can be done by oneself.

Thanks for all the help guys, depending on what I find when I start the fixing process, It sounds like I would be needing some new parts. Hopefully its not too big of a mess, but we'll see. Chance of needing to order a new engine entirely? If so any suggestions, maybe something a little more reliable, American made or Japanese? Im running the 48cc Grubee Skyhawk, put a lot of maintenance and care into her, like something that returns the favor in the future.

That aside I'll update on what I find, I'll probably pull the head after work and see whats going on.

Back