Clutch Main Spring.

BrainPain

Local time
2:36 PM
Hello,
How do I know when the main spring has lost tension?
The Other day I was riding my bike going alone as good as my bike ever go's I gave it a little extra throttle a couple of times made it home parked the bike then decided to go back to town not good about 2.4 miles I started up a hill and I thought the clutch was slipping bad the motor was revved up but nothing so I came home cleaned the pads and plate with alcohol tried again same problem.To day I put new pads in black ones there was a little grease on the back of the pads I cleaned every thing well and it was actually worst then before What I noticed is I can push the bucking bar in easy with my hand it use to take a little effort also it seems every time I get the cable right I need to tighten it more push the bucking bar in and tighten the cable set screw. The Clutch Plate moves when I push the Bucking bar in. I have replaced the pads before I used the black pads to replace the one's that came with the motor I got about 600 miles out of them. The Picture of the plate is to see if I should replace it's pretty much been as pictured except the smooth outer area. One last question can anyone point me to a good guide to change the spring and make any suggestions on what else I might need to replace like gaskets and other stuff.

Sorry for the long storie and bad grammer

Attachments

• IMG_20220923_164236_5.jpg
    IMG_20220923_164236_5.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 131
The only way to really know what is going on would be to pull the shaft. It is possible the spring may be weak. It may have also not been tightened down with enough turns on the nut and the nut vibrated free.

Nick919 gave me a good process to tighten the spring by removing the clutch cable anchor post, inserting a screw driver into the slots in the clutch spring nut and rolling the bike backwards. Beware it tightens quickly, go a little bit at a time!

Nick919 gave me a good process to tighten the spring by removing the clutch cable anchor post, inserting a screw driver into the slots in the clutch spring nut and rolling the bike backwards. Beware it tightens quickly, go a little bit at a time!
Isn't there also some sort of grease or lube that should be done after that adjustment as well???

And if so, what works the best for that application???

Here's the clutch shaft and slot that Cannonball is talking about.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220924-080357.png
    Screenshot_20220924-080357.png
    450.4 KB · Views: 116
If the pin has broke or come out that goes through the shaft you will have to remove the shaft to correct it.

I take no credit for these pictures, this is an old post on another site.

Attachments

• IM000006.JPG
    IM000006.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 106
  • IM000002.JPG
    IM000002.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 114
  • IM000001.JPG
    IM000001.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 125
If the pin breaks or wears out or somehow separates from the spring collar you loose the spring in the process. Loose the spring and the outer clutch plate no longer is forced against the pads.
If there’s tension on the lever that pushes the buckbar there’s good chance it’s all correct. Like if you push on that arm and it’s hard to push and it springs back in place when you let go I’d think the spring is doing it’s job.

It could be a simple matter of getting the whole set up adjusted correctly…. Cable..flower nut..
I’ve had new pads slip worse than old ones…until they wear some and seat in flat on the plates.
If the clutch is engaging..pulling the bike any at all..I’d work on adjustments before pulling that clutch shaft out.

Back