Clutch needs to warm up

peter nap

Local time
1:54 AM
On my 07 NE5, I've noticed that the clutch doesn't fully slip in until it gets warm. Is this normal? Does the partial engagement hurt anything?

Just to explain...I start it, let it run for a minute to get the oil going and ride off. It moves but the clutch doesn't "slip in" for about 200 yards. After that, it's fine.

Peter here is a previous post about the clutch and speeding up the break-in process.
Many asked if it is normal for the clutch to slip during the break-in period.
The answer is "yes", and I will gladly explain how to speed up the break-in process. When the clutch is new, and the shoes & drum are getting to know each other, only 15% of the shoe surface is touching the drum. As the break-in process continues more of the shoe surface will contact the hub, but I don't like to wait [approx. 50 miles]. I am going to tell you how I do it, but check with your dealer to make sure my method doesn't void your warranty. After the first 10 to 15 miles, I apply the brakes, rev the motor for a few moments. I then remove the clutch, and using a Dremel grinder, I remove all the "glazed" areas on the shoes. I install the clutch and repeat the process several times untill 90 to 95% of the shoes are contacting the drum. The end result is a clutch that "locks" completely at approx 2200 RPMs.

Have fun,
Quenton

Back