Clutch clutch not working

geronimo

Local time
11:48 AM
There seems to be no adjustment on my clutch. Could I have lost the clutch drive pin while putting the chain on the sprocket? Where can i get one?

Last edited:
If the clutch moves entirely freely with no resistance or effect, and the clutch arm is moving as expected, then it's quite likely you've lost the bucking bar that sits within the drive sprocket.

Pretty simple to check, remove the sprocket cover and see if the hole in the middle of the sprocket is filled or not.

If however it is missing, its a good idea to check the hole to make sure the ball bearing is still inside, otherwise you will need to order one of these also. Average price for both is about AU$6 plus postage.

Im sure if you say where you're from someone will be able to recommend a supplier.

Sounds like you might have lost it. Easy to check, (even before posting).

As Mike says, ensure that you haven't also lost your ball bearing from behind the bucking-bar.

Who did you buy your kit from? Do they sell spares?
Otherwise, I think ThatsDax sell bucking-bars and balls.

(This should really have been posted in 'Frame-Mounted Drive Trains' for the right responses.)

bucking bar

i know that zbox motors sells the bucking bar an ball for 5 dollars aussie .
site is zbox.com.au

Thanks, Brad. I forgot that ZBox have them, for those in Australia.
Just checked ThatsDax, they have them on this page for $5US + delivery, for those in the states.

I didnt want to wait so I bought a new bearing from coventrys and grinded down a hardened drill bit bottom of the right diameter.

Mike, are you still using the cut-off drill bit?
I only suggested that on the spur of the moment at the time, but I'd be interested to know if it feels smoother than the original bucking-bar, since it's made of harder metal.
The original bucking-bars, (hate that name, I'd change one letter), are made of soft steel and the cam bites into them, but that shouldn't happen with the drill bit.

To be honest I haven't noticed any difference, once I got it ground down to the right length.

Looking at it though its already in better condition than the old one was after a comparable number of rides.

Do you have it inserted with the smooth end outwards, to reduce friction?
I would have thought that a nice smooth, hard surface where the cam rubs would make the clutch easier to disengage. I tried hardening the original bucking-bar, but it didn't work well enough. Case hardening would have been better.
At least the drill bit won't be bitten into by the cam like the original b-bar was.
As you say, it's already in better condition and it should stay that way.
I'll do it myself eventually, and slightly curve the outer face of the drill bit, then polish it.

... Steve

Back