Clutch pads wearing down?

Leighton

Local time
9:45 AM
Hi all,

Is there any reason why my clutch seems to need to be pulled further and further in to engage it.
On my clutch lever I have 2 settings, slightly pulled and full pulled whereby I can latch it onto so it stays engaged. I like it set so I can use both settings.
My problem is it seems to be moving, so after some time the half pulled setting is starting to engage the engine when I should just be pedaling.

The cable doesn't seem to have moved.

Is it just the pads wearing down you think?

Just to clarify, when you let out the clutch lever, that engages the clutch. When you pull on the lever, that disengages the clutch.

But pads do wear down, that's what they do.

Run it until it doesn't work anymore and then change the pads.

Haha damn I had it the other way around.

I'll probably leave it but it's being adjusted and adjusted and I'm getting close to no more adjust.
How long are the pads generally meant to last.
(I have the beige with black bits pads)

Pull the clutch plate off and take a look at the pads, you may have another issue and it's not even the pads. Could be the cable, even if it doesn't look like it's moving it could be stretching.

Yeah my brake pads wear down a fair bit aswell. I only have calipers and not discs so I have to pull them quite hard. The rears have lasted about a months and half. The think flies tho so needs to stop.

I did have a look at the pads and they looked pretty much how they looked when I last looked in there.
I tightened the star washer a bit and it allowed me to have more adjustment levels in the cable itself.

When I had a look at the clutch arm side. The black rod the arm connects to. Where it meets the little pin that pushes the bearing in was starting to wear down. I bet this is the reason for it! I'm gonna try and get a new clutch arm and the black rod.

Could I grease that bit do you think?

Back