Clutch problem (I dont understand!)

Rain City

Local time
12:31 PM
:confused:
I am building my 80cc on a cruiser, and I just dont understand how this clutch is supposed to work. I have the cables hooked up all good, but I just dont get this thing!

If you look at the attached picture, when the clutch arm is pulled, its supposed to push that "button" looking thing inside the sprocket. But it wont push, its pretty solid.

What is going on!!

Attachments

• DSC03696 2.jpg
    DSC03696 2.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 413
Im not entirely sure having not built one of these, but it almost looks like you have the clutch throw arm the wrong way round - it should I think be pointing with the selector cable connector away from the bike.

That would explain not being able to use the clutch because the default position would be to have the clutch engaged.. and then you are trying to engage it again...

dont quote me on that, because as I said I am not sure, but it would be worth looking into..

Jemma xx

have you had the other side apart to see if there is a problem there?

and does the engine itself actually run - because if the whole thing is seized or stuck for some reason that would jam the clutch up as well.

Have you lubricated and checked that the part the clutch arm meshes with is free and working properly?

have you had the other side apart to see if there is a problem there?

and does the engine itself actually run - because if the whole thing is seized or stuck for some reason that would jam the clutch up as well.

Have you lubricated and checked that the part the clutch arm meshes with is free and working properly?

I haven't opened the other side, hah I'm trying to make this as simple as possible.

I am still in "building" mode, so I havent started the engine yet.

But - I don't see how it would be possible to start the engine if i can't engage the clutch, because the bike would not be able to operate regularly for me to ride/start it.

Is that rod/buttony thing supposed to push in?

I think you just have too little tension on the cable
try moving the screw-on tip a little farther up the cable
the first few times of using the clutch tend to be the hardest to pull...it should loosen up

The rod that the clutch is pushing against does not move. If I push on the circle rod that is sticking out, it does not go in -at all (See picture with star arrow) :???:

Attachments

• DSC03696 3.jpg
    DSC03696 3.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:
I would disconnect the cable, put the cover back on with the lever facing straight back toward the back of the bike, then try to push hard on the lever and see if it will push in. If not, take it apart again, remove the round clutch pin and make sure that you have not lost the small ball bearing that goes in before the clutch pin. If you tip the motor it may just roll out. These are easy to lose. Keep us posted as to how you are doing with it.

So that round rod IS supposed to be able to push in and out right? Because I would have to smash it with a hammer (which i want to do :D) in order to get it to budge.

I know of no ball bearing, this goes inside of the clutch pin? My main problem (as i can see it right now) is that the rod thingy (see picture in prev post) will not budge. Should I start taking stuff apart??

Does anyone live in Seattle that could help me :D:D

The rod will loosen up over time. Put the cover on the way it is supposed to go, and push on the clutch arm, it will be hard at first. It is the leverage from the arm that makes it even doable at all....

Before the rod goes into the hole in the sproket shaft, there should be a ball bearing.

Back