Clutch problems - please help!

I was reading this and though i would give you my 2 cents, I assume you are pushing on the little rod in the middle of the sprocket and that is what wont budge? I doubt there are many poeple who could push that in by hand its hard enough with the leverage of the clutch arm. So i would guess that there isnt any out of the ordinary there, and if you are trying to feed the chain through the little sprocket for the first time you need to have the plate taken off the has the clutch lever on it, so you cant use that to pushing the clutch either.

When I did it I pulled the spark pluge and just used a flat screw driver between the teeth of the sproket to move it, it will still be a bit tough but it will work.

If you really want it to move easy this will require a bit more disassmebly... and im am also guessing you have the chinesse 2 stroke? On the other side of the engine there is the clutch cover with 5 or 6 screws in it. Remove them and then the cover will come off. You will see 2 gears, on the larger gear is the clutch, remove the very tiny brass set screw in the 'star nut' and the unscrew the star nut too. This will take the presure plate off and the little sprocket on the other side will move unimpared, but i think the screw drive thing should work well enough

Last edited:
I use a socket/ratchet to turn the nut that's holding that sprocket on, so I can feed the chain on. Taking the spark plug out is most helpful.
Ohh I hate to confess this here. Remeber to put the spark plug back in and tight. I rode around the block with the plug 1/2 way in. I guess it was sucking air, cause it sure wouldn't start.

Well, in the process of trying to take a couple of links out of the chain, I meesed my chain up. So I'm going to have to order a new chain. Until then I just wanted to thank everyone for their help.

If I smoked, this is the point where I would go for a smoke break for about two weeks while I wait for the chain to come in the mail.

Well, I almost had the whole thing working right for one fulll second.

I cut about an inch off the clutch wire to give the arm some torque. Tightened everything down and gave the clutch lever a few squeezes. And Praise Be! - it actually looks like it was working right!

Then the little keeper piece goes flying off. Goes ricocheting down the road. The wire comes undone. And the ends are freyed so badly that I'm just going to have to take the thing to a bike shop so THEY can deal with it.

I followed the most low tech advice most people have here when it comes to clutch problems. Just take the spark plug out and ride it for a bit to get the stupid clutch loosened up. I did that and when the clutch wire was working properly for a single second, my bike actually worked.

Oh well. Still, thanks for the advice all.

:???:

Last edited:
Back