Clutch "rod" keeps popping out

Sowhatu

Local time
10:53 PM
*solved* Clutch "rod" keeps popping out

Just bought this 50cc used 2 days ago, whenever I engage clutch lever it keeps popping out.
At the end of the rod... It's like a half rod, I think it goes into a slot.
I think it's not "clipped" on in the inside.
Should I take it back to the guy and make him fix it?
I paid $350.00 for it.
50cc engine from @zoomcycle.com. Mounted on a " supercycle cruiser".

Yes, I'm a complete noob to this

Last edited:
From new there is a cross pin that keeps the rod, (Cam), from popping out. Take it apart and you will see where it goes.

Remove the 3 screws that secure the housing

Look at the inside of the housing...you will see evidence that a small hole was drilled across the hole that the rod goes in. From new a pin was pressed, and sometimes glued into this hole.

You will need to remove any remaining bits of the pin and insert a new one.

I have both the factory clutch actuators, and my modified machined product in-stock.

I wouldn't take it back to the guy...he is most likely as clueless as you are! No offense, but you will be able to fix it quicker doing it yourself.

Jim

The gasket/ seal looks like I might damage it by taking the cover off.
Also... I did "try" to remove cover last night... Those big flat head screws don't seem to budge using a normal screwdriver.

You're familiar with those short (1 to 2 in.) screwdriver bits that you put into the chuck of a drill? Get one of those. Phillips head.

then get yourself a 1/4 in ratchet and some sockets. the screwdriver bit fits into one of the sockets. 6mm, If I remember right.

Now you've got a Phillips head screwdriver that you can really put to use. You can put the head of the ratchet in the palm of your hand, press it into the screw and you have excellent torque and control. Getting those clutch cover screws out is easy with this setup.

Are you talking about the part shown in the graphic below?

"The gasket/ seal looks like I might damage it by taking the cover off.
Also... I did "try" to remove cover last night... Those big flat head screws don't seem to budge using a normal screwdriver."

If so...there should not be a gasket between the clutch actuator housing and the engine case.

As the other guys pointed out...get something that will provide a positive bite on the screws. The more you bugger them the less likely you will ever get them out!

The graphic shows components that are slightly different from the parts in your engine.

Jim

Attachments

• engine12.jpg
    engine12.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 415
A guy at the nearby secondhand store fixed it.
He tapped the screws with a hammer and screwdriver to remove screws.
The pin was missing so he put in a nail with a head in ITs place.
He had to drill a hole in the other side of clutch cover so he could bend the nail so it will never fall out again.
It works fine now.
I thank you for your time in responding.
I will be going through this site to more info.

Back