Clutch shaft installation

WannaBee

Local time
6:39 PM
Hello again guys. Have a new clutch shaft arriving today ( old one is bent, gear wobble=no good) and I am curious if its a pretty straight forward process or is there something tricky involved that I don't know about? I have 66cc 2 stroke that has not even been run yet, so many issues out of the box. New 202 bearings too.

Attachments

• 20200507_180655.jpg
    20200507_180655.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 156
Thank you but my concern is with the installation. I have the clutch shaft/assembly already removed, hence the title. For instance, I'm assuming that one bearing is pressed into the case, clutch shaft/assembly is inserted from the opposite side then the remaining bearing goes in. First time with this so I'm asking you guys in case I am missing something. Thanks again!

Sorry. Blonde moment here. That's about right. The bearings just need to be fully seated and wood-ruff keys correctly locked.

You can also press a frozen bearing onto the sprocket side of the clutch shaft, freeze this, then press this into the case, take another frozen bearing and press it into the clutch side of the case. Then install the clutch and output sprocket on respecting sides.

Always bathe the bearings in a dish of 2 stroke oil before and during freezing to prevent rusting from humidity.
Leaving the case in sunlight to warm up helps greatly too.
Rubber mallet or hammer wrapped in leather with a couple of sized metric sockets will press a bearing.
A wood block with sized holes will help to not damage anything when tapping a bearing in.

You have some good info there. I like the freeze/ install sequence you explained, think I'll go with that. Update: Ah, the fun continues! The new clutch shaft has smaller keyway slots than the old shaft. The gear and clutch plate will not fit snugly, so do I order replacement shaft with larger slot( is there more than one size keyway that I should have specified? No size options were given.) Or maybe I can modify the old woodruff keys ( see grind it down) to fit the new shaft. The saga continues...

You have some good info there. I like the freeze/ install sequence you explained, think I'll go with that. Update: Ah, the fun continues! The new clutch shaft has smaller keyway slots than the old shaft. The gear and clutch plate will not fit snugly, so do I order replacement shaft with larger slot( is there more than one size keyway that I should have specified? No size options were given.) Or maybe I can modify the old woodruff keys ( see grind it down) to fit the new shaft. The saga continues...
You might have to resize the key, but buy a whole new piece of key stock and resize a section on the end to fit the shaft and then trim off what you need. The piece of key stock will probably be around 10"-12" long. Actually if your careful you can taper the key so it's tight on both parts.

You might have to resize the key, but buy a whole new piece of key stock and resize a section on the end to fit the shaft and then trim off what you need. The piece of key stock will probably be around 10"-12" long. Actually if your careful you can taper the key so it's tight on both parts.
Sounds like a plan. Much appreciated sir.

Hello again. So everything seems to be working, finally. New clutch plate/shaft and off we go. I've put a few miles on it in the last month, with some time out for taking care of my In laws out of state. Next task will be trying different jets out, as the top end seems kinda flat performance wise. You guys have been a terrific help, thank you.

Back