clutch slips when trying to start the bike

skatevw

Local time
1:54 AM
I have a problem with the clutch, I have it adjusted so it is in good tension, but motor will not turn over when fully let out? If going down a hill sometimes going fast I can get the motor to catch and it will start? I have to keep the rpms to keep running too. I it seems like too high compression? I pull the plug, i ADDED EXTRA HEAD GASKET, DIDNT HELP? What else can anyone suggest?

Take the right side cover off and pull the clutch lever and watch the plate as it goes in and out on the pads. If it feels loose, remove the retaining screw and turn the flower nut in. You only need an 1/8th inch clearance between the highest point.

Turn the flower nut in a few notches at a time, roll the back tire and see if it is catching. If not, go a few more. Till you get it. then go for a ride and fine tune it if you need to.

I had this problem on a brand new engine. Oil residue on the clutch pads or friction plate from the factory. Cleaned them with brake cleaner

Take the right side cover off and pull the clutch lever and watch the plate as it goes in and out on the pads. If it feels loose, remove the retaining screw and turn the flower nut in. You only need an 1/8th inch clearance between the highest point.
thank you

Back