Centrifugal clutch toasted in a day

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no cable even used with cent clutch so it wouldn't matter if it stretched or not hehehe ;-}
Actually I could have sworn when I wrote the reply I was in a thread relating to carburetor problems. How am I in this thread not having anything to do with a throttle cable and the reply being here I have the foggiest idea...

It was something about a carburetor being put together wrong or something and a bike being stuck at a certain rpm or something along those lines.

Yeah uh... Yeah..

Well it's not that then is it crazy dan
Naw, it is somebody with no clue how something even works giving senseless 'advice' that irritates people like me and Dan and many others Jimmy...

Look kid, it's not a 'post count' game here, it's about real help and advice, my advice to you is don't give any adivce unless you actually have some experience with the topic which in this case you clearly have none.

Naw, it is somebody with no clue how something even works giving senseless 'advice' that irritates people like me and Dan and many others Jimmy...

Look kid, it's not a 'post count' game here, it's about real help and advice, my advice to you is don't give any adivce unless you actually have some experience with the topic which in this case you clearly have none.
Does anyone other than the computer actually keep count let alone care about post count? Think I have almost 2 thousand which only took almost a year but I honestly don't see how post count has anything to do with Uhm... Popularity? Not sure how you think "the count" is all that important to anyone, any idiot can post a thousand times (no need for a sarcastic comment to prove your point needed,) doesn't make them Jesus.

Off topic section might be a good way to get some points so you don't want to get scolded by somebody who's a little irritable as often...

How about instead of the negative commentary try some positive reinforcement and let the person know a centrifugal clutch does without the cable, can't expect everyone to know everything, possibly he didn't even see the word centrifugal (you've on many occasion failed to READ the thread and managed to give unrelated responses that helped nobody, so take a second to empathize with human nature's imperfection) and so he may of thought it was a simple manual clutch.

At least he put an effort into helping and used relatively good English, in time he will learn.

hey guys, thanks for all the replies. i honestly forgot about this thread. Yes, i was working with the really crappy "hoot" single chain gearbox. I replaced the clutch and everything was back to normal. Im still unsure what caused the brand new clutch to fail, ill just assume it was very very poor quality. While i was waiting for that clutch to come in the mail though, i did tons and TONS of reading on this site, and learned that my transmission will inevitably fail, most likely before the end of summer. With that in mind, i ordered the highly recommended Q matic transmission, and couldnt be happier!

Your clutch burned out from slipping too much, heated up the springs and caused them to pop.
Kind of an exciting part of that bullet train, I think you (or somebody else intelligent) that mentioned the oil bath clutch being capable of keeping the thing cool. With that nice bath the clutch should last a pretty long time, no heat problems or other crap like on many transfer cases available for 2 and 4 strokes. The nice heavy gears in the reduction clutch area will be constantly oiled in a fluid rather than relying on the old fashioned sticky grease method. Too much grease on an auto clutch and even a manual can be a problem for the original happy time motors.

Heat is a big contributing factor on just about any clutch, too much and the system just wants to fail. Riding the crap out of.an auto clutch slipping it excessively will always destroy it. If you can't honestly stop it from slipping then you need to reduce your first (or only) gear ratio so that you aren't tearing up the pads while pulling out from an idle. The easier the transition from an idle to the pads engaging the longer the clutch will last. It also helps to not buy complete s**t for a clutch since the worse the quality the more likely it will end up grenading or turning into magic dust within a month. I know the ebay pawn shop keepers might replace the clutch pads free of charge but good luck making them pay for the rest of the damage/aggravation.

Cheap clutches come with cheap parts, the springs could be absolute garbage right from the get go. Seen plenty who've replaced springs right off the line to help get the motor to grab sooner or later than stock and they last pretty good too. Might have something to do with a manufacturer who diligently checks the spring tention for quality control might actually have real experience at making quality springs...

Pretty easy to eff up setting a spring to actually remain springy when the person on oven duty may or may not have been paying attention while the springs were made.

Go generic on the bike, the motor, the jackshaft and the hub, but please don't skip on the transmission, it's the one part that takes the biggest beating from the engine itself, skipping on that essentially blows a hole in the entire set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back