Clutch upgrade

Oh and I got my stage 4 clutch this week.
16246651826186881317661120530820.jpg

Because I'm a mechanic we have an endless supply of used brake pads laying around. I found some pads with lots of lining left and then Sawzalled the lining from the backing then used the saw to cut out the shapes. You only need 5 or so. The trick is finding used pads that are still thick enough for clutch pads. It's very dusty and a mask is probably a good idea.
Great minds all think alike. I guess I must be on the same wave length as I'm too a mechanic and I too have access to lots used brake and clutch linings off cars to experiment with. Just gotta be extra careful where asbestos is concerned because even tho it was banned and all products containing asbestos was taken off the shelves several years back, some smaller retail places don't care and turned a blind eye to it and kept it in circulation until their NOS ran out so the chances of removing used pads off a vehicle containing asbestos is slim but still there...

Oh and I got my stage 4 clutch this week.View attachment 105972
NICE !! Now THAT, boys n gals, is a clutch ! I guess U can only go one better and that's only if you have stupid amounts of grunt with horsepower rating in the double digits figures which also warrants a setup requiring most of the aluminium clutch compartment cover cut away, replaced with a huge hole to accommodate three chunky external springs on the clutch plate itself to assist with clamping duties , other than that, this 'Stage 4' unit u have here is more than sufficient to take on 99.999 % of 2 stroke bicycle applications - race or otherwise.... To be perfectly honest, the tidy RDM unit you have here would probably be considered as 'overkill' in majority of 2 stroke applications in a bicycle....
Once again to sum it up using one short word - NICE !
Oh and I got my stage 4 clutch this week.View attachment 105972

Installed the stage 4 clutch.
Just waiting on my brakes and have to make the exhaust.
YEP...I'll give ya my address and you can just ship that sucker right over to me free shipping, OK ?...Thanks...lol...lol...DAMIEN
(I know, that will be as likely as an ice cream cone in hell in the middle of July...lol.)

So I took the clutch plate off. And it looks kinda sh**ty. And there a little bit of grease on the pads. No wonder why it feels like the pressure plate isn’t holding. And the bottom of the plate felt greasy as well. So I tried to clean up most of the grease and I scuffed the pressure plate to help with the grabbing. So I’ll try it later and see how it goes.
dont scuff the plates, ever. its just chews the pads away faster with no benefit, will still slip if not adjusted right or greasy. try tightening your preload.

dont scuff the plates, ever. its just chews the pads away faster with no benefit, will still slip if not adjusted right or greasy. try tightening your preload.
RDM stage 4 clutch has no preload spring or adjuster, he's using actual brake linings for pads not cheap Chinese pads, and the pressure plate has cuts in it to aid in grip so scuffing it up isn't going to hurt it at all!

Back