Clutch won't disengage on motorized bicycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
my tire runs free i think my clutch got loosen what can i do for my clutch can get how it was

I've got problems with my clutch to.I've tried everything but the chain binds up.No matter how I'd adjust the butter fly nut it seem to catch on idle lurch forward and let go.When it's in gear with the plug out the chain and sprockets roll fine smooth as a whistle.When I put the plug in in neutral the chain grabs and pulls the spring tensioner all the way down and it's binds.Its brand new I tried filing the teeth on the front sprocket still the same.What puzzles me is it turn so true with the plug out.Any ideas?

spring tensioners will drive you crazy. when you pop start it the thing lets your chain's top run go utterly slack and floppy. think about ramming that floppy chain through that output sprocket's tiny clearance between the sprocket and the crankcase. hard. soooo close to cracking the case when it jams. ditch the spring tensioner and go stock and try it. i'll never, ever use a spring tensioner again. I came a whisker away from cracking my case it jammed so hard. it sucks because I like the spring tensioner otherwise. its a sound design,..right up until you need to start the thing. BOOM!!! --not good. you're getting warm,... like i was,..until I had my buddy w/me,...and he said that when I pop started the thing,.. it looked like my chain was about a foot too long!!!! it all came together and I went home and threw the spring tensioner into the swamp and installed the stock one. there is nothing wrong with the stock tensioner at all if you get it tight and right.

its not the clutch. its that dumb spring tensioner. go stock before you crack your case.

Last edited:
So, your clutch plate will not lift off of the pads - sounds like you still need to work on the flower nut! Check the spring below the plate and make sure it's not jammed and that it is pushing the plate off the pads.

Honestly, I don't believe you when you say "it spins freely". If your clutch plate spun freely it would be disengaged.

4 step clutch adjustment:

1. Put the clutch lever in the locked position.

2. Adjust the clutch cable to get the clutch's camshaft to be perfectly flat against the pin.

3. Adjust the flower nut until your bike rolls freely.

4. Fire up the bike and lift the back wheel off the ground and lock the clutch. Your back wheel will not move if it is adjusted properly.
I'm having the same problem but mine is on a bran new never run engine I even tried pushing the clutch arm in by hand the plate definitely comes off the pads but I can't pull the chain freely its like it's still in gear?

I'm having the same problem but mine is on a bran new never run engine I even tried pushing the clutch arm in by hand the plate definitely comes off the pads but I can't pull the chain freely its like it's still in gear?
There's another plate on the other side of the pads. The pads are probably stuck to it. Remove the pads and sand them to fit freely in the cage then reassemble.

There's another plate on the other side of the pads. The pads are probably stuck to it. Remove the pads and sand them to fit freely in the cage then reassemble.
Great thank you I will take a look... It's been a couple years since I built 1 these bikes had this kit for almost a yr now but never put it on anything yet was pretty disapoi Ted in kingsmotorbikes when they shorted me parts on my kit n refused to fix the problem... I'm still waiting on my air filter I had to order... 1 of the parts they were supposed to ship with the kit but yea finally decided may as well put it together and finnish ordering the rest the parts I need.... Don't order from them BTW worst customer service ever and they don't stand behind there products if something goes wrong they basically accuse you of stealing and trying to get free parts

Great thank you I will take a look... It's been a couple years since I built 1 these bikes had this kit for almost a yr now but never put it on anything yet was pretty disapoi Ted in kingsmotorbikes when they shorted me parts on my kit n refused to fix the problem... I'm still waiting on my air filter I had to order... 1 of the parts they were supposed to ship with the kit but yea finally decided may as well put it together and finnish ordering the rest the parts I need.... Don't order from them BTW worst customer service ever and they don't stand behind there products if something goes wrong they basically accuse you of stealing and trying to get free parts
Yup kings gasbike and zeda all have terrible service. Stick with bmw or bicycle-engines.com
Good parts and service.

Sickbikeparts.com is very good bikeberry.com is decent too and zoombicycles.com
Zoombicycles, are you in Canada?Bikeberry,Kings,and Gasbike are all the same llc (company) I've never bought engines from these guy's but being here in Canada there is very few choices and when parts are on sale or being blown out I'll order from them and have for years with no issue.That said the guy's down south have many options and vendors to choose from and Bicycle Engines, Bicycle Motor Works and Sick Bike Parts seem to be the best of the bunch atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back