Clutches and gearing issues....

G

A quick couple of questions for those of you that have run these awhile-

1.) Do you peddle then let the clutch out or take off like a motorcycle?
2.) How well are your clutches holding up? How many plates do they have? I'm guessing they are 1 plate dry clutches? Does the manufacture reccomend taking off like a motorcycle (no peddling)?

O.K., that's more than two.

Bikeguy Joe said:
A quick couple of questions for those of you that have run these awhile-

1.) Do you peddle then let the clutch out or take off like a motorcycle?
yes...pedal start.

2.) How well are your clutches holding up?
mine are holding up well. there is a star nut on the clutch plate for adjustment.

59_06_2.jpg

59_05_2.jpg

How many plates do they have? I'm guessing they are 1 plate dry clutches?
never had one apart...but a dry clutch.

Does the manufacture reccomend taking off like a motorcycle (no peddling)?
I generally give em a few cranks from the start to help get rolling, but I use mostly 48/50 tooth sprockets. Not really into speed here.

O.K., that's more than two.

no problem, Joe...... :D

I was asking because it would seem like you are taking off in high gear. I know that can't be real good for a single plate dry clutch.

Thanks.

after you get to know your engine/bike you develop the right method for pedaling/clutching take-offs.

as i approach a stop, i disengage and lock the clutch, roll or pedal to my turn at the stop while hand-signalling my intentions. when it's my turn, i start out pedaling, then release the clutch as i gain speed.

with approx 250lbs of total weight, i never use engine-only from a dead stop...personally, i don't have the funds to buy/replace parts i can treat right for a longer & more reliable lifespan.

I always give a couple peddle strokes when taking off. The clutch is basically a dry single plate however the plate consists of a piece of steel with holes cut in it and lots of small "pucks" of clutch material. These are really cheap and can easily be replaced.

Moth

the star nut is a pressure adjustment, with 1/6th-turn locking positions.

i'm pushing 1000 miles with no signs of clutch malfunction or need for adjustments, but i do have a lot of motorcycling experience and i NEVER overload my clutch components.

anyone have a picture of the star nut? and what does the tiny screw that goes in the pressure plate do?

Back