CNC hub slipping

Ok. Looking at the pic you posted.

Shave some of the meeting surfaces of the two adapter pieces, or get some of the shims like these:

If you have no gap between the 2 adapter parts then i'd do some serious sandin or cutting off some material there on those 2 pieces where they join.
Been using the grinder extensively. Then a lapping plate to square the halves up and fit it. I still need to use .003" brass shim stock to take up some space around the hub. That 1" adapter is more like >1". It's going to take quite a bit of JBweld to do this.
Just going to take my time, and use a rag joint in the meantime. After all, I can't have my main ride not ready to go.

I'm in the process of modifying a sprocket adapter for no slip. I drilled and tapped a 1/4-20 hole on the 2 post side of the adapter. I think loosely securing the sprocket to the hub then using a pointed set screw can locate the drill point on the hub. To drill the hole I think a dremel and some different bits could drill the locating slot for the pin. The pin Is going to be a grade 8 bolt with the smooth shank and going to cut the head off the bolt. I think it will work pretty good. This is a 1 1/5 in hub. On a 1 inch hub you'd have to use a perhaps smaller pin maybe 1/8.

Ok. Looking at the pic you posted.

Shave some of the meeting surfaces of the two adapter pieces, or get some of the shims like these:
How about that. Custom made shims. Thanks
I'd make them myself but I sold the metal lathe some years ago.

Now that I think of it that's the same hub that I got the black one with removable spacers. But what are the shims attached to? There's no pin or key way. All it takes is sudden torque or a loose chain and they start slipping. If the hub was knurled the adapters would work better.

I've got no experience with the hubs, but I can tell you a set screw is the only good solution.

Drill the adapter tap it and screw in a set screw with lock tite.

Last edited:
I made a couple brass shims and will JBweld it all together. Everything is roughened to give it all some teeth.

20201106_123412.jpg 20201106_123531.jpg

The next time I do this it will be done using a 1" bore hub. A set screw is also a good idea.

Last edited:
Back