Coast to Coast and back

I'm definitely going to do this next year when I have a better quality motored bike.

I don't wanna go straight from one coast to the other, or ride the perimeter of the states... I wanna touch every single one of them with my tires & feet (excluding Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Minnesota, and Hawaii & Alaska for obvious reasons). I just couldn't imagine having too much fun riding thru those desolate northern-most mid-western states.

This is so enticing. Yet, I've only ridden a motorized bicycle for 1 mile so far.. lol. My first thoughts are, "Is this even possible? Will an engine hold up to that distance and time? How do you plan a route like this? What are the REALITIES of this? Where do you decide to sleep-- you can't just set up a tent ANYWHERE. How long will this take? I don't know a lot about motor bicycles, but man, what a cool adventure that would be."

Sparky & Erickster,

You guys might find this post by "zmiracle" of interest...

"Burke, I rode a 25cc Red Max 2-stroke (GEBE) from Seattle to Tucson (2300 miles) hauling 70-80lbs of gear in a Burley trailer. It performed beautifully. There were a couple of mountains I had to walk the bike up near the end using the engine to haul the gear but over all it was really nice with no engine problems whatsoever....As an aside the 25cc Red Max I have at the time of this writing has 7,500 miles on it and I've only replaced the clutch plates at around 6,500 miles."

Here's the link to the thread - http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=8762

...btw, Sparky, I've personally been through Montana and Wyoming.
Beautiful country, especially Montana.
True, there are some desolate places in those states (I swear the end of "Cast Away", where he's standing at the cross road, was filmed in Wyoming. Looks like it, anyway), but overall, I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice by skipping those states.

Dean

Last edited:
Did this trip happen

Did this trip ever happen!!!!!!!
Any trips in the future I would be interested in. I just signed in to this website but I am in for adventure. I haven't got my motorized bike yet and seek advice from all out there as I want to buy the best suitable for me. But I am definitely in for some trips. I am a gypsy spirit and do not fit in the norm even though I am a 53 year old Australian/ Dutch woman living in San Diego who has traveled the world around.

Long distance trips

Thanks for the website. I have done an eleven month trip in my van around the western states then over to Texas to Florida and back again. Fantastic. And I have traveled the world around a few times.
The freedom of having your own wheels is the best. I just got back from Colorado, a trip in car with my Dahon fold up bike - but the hills got me, female at the age of 53, on that little 3 speed bike. So that go me thinking of a motored bike like we had when I was living in the Netherlands. But I am completely not technical so need something simple. And need to find someone in San Diego who can fit it for me. And then anyone doing long distance trips - sign me up. I am in for adventure and fun to explore.

Here's a direct link to "The Great American Road Trip" website - http://greatamericanroadtrip.us/

Pretty cool endeavour. Thanks for posting the link, Zev0.
I agree, also, that this could be done on a Mobicycle.

That link also reminds me of a concert tour that George Thorogood and the Delaware Destroyers took back in the mid-80's.
"50 states in 50 days", I think that's what it was called.
The band used a rented Checker cab as their "tour bus" and played 50 one-nighters.

...of course, how they "drove" to Hawaii is beyond me. :D

Gypsyjennifer, welcome to the site.

Dean

Back