Coaster brake arm issues ....

Bezzi1

Local time
1:49 AM
Hi everybody i'm having this issue and a lot of ppl i've come across are going through the same issue which is the coaster brake arm on the back wheel not clearing the screws of the sprocket... So im making this thread for all with this problem..... I heard theres a way you can bend the arm to clear the screws....anyone who has done this method or knows about pls post some instructions on how to do it .... Some pics and/or a link on how to do it or any other good methods would be great....
Thanx...:)

I just stuck mine in the bench vise and started beating it with a hammer. no fancy pics or vids necessary. My frame has a little tab that the coaster arm screws into instead of the cheap metal band you get with retrofits, when I got the bike the coaster arm sat on the inside of the tab, and now sits on the outside.

^^^^ I agree. ^^^^

a hammer and a bench vice are all you need. just needs to be "kinked" slightly. twice. one close to the hub to twist the arm out of the way, one about an inch further up, to twist the arm back to parallel.

I just stuck mine in the bench vise and started beating it with a hammer. no fancy pics or vids necessary. My frame has a little tab that the coaster arm screws into instead of the cheap metal band you get with retrofits, when I got the bike the coaster arm sat on the inside of the tab, and now sits on the outside.

That's exactly how my bike is also... What would recommend for someone without a vice?

a lump of steel. the bumper bar of a heavy truck. a local friendly mechanic that doesnt mind some :wacko: on a push bike playing with a hammer in his shop for a few minutes. imagination helps :)

I've used a couple of large adjustable spanners for similar stuff in the past. Screw each one down diagonally on either side of the plce you want to bend and see if you can. Depends how stout the brake arm is though, and how much space there is on the arm to grab onto.

I made an extension to the arm by purchasing a used brake arm for $2 and cutting off the arm, welding the squared washer part to my other arm and the bend is much less obvious, plus it clears the bolts nicely.

Back