Safety COASTER BRAKE horror stories, please add your experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha i love the look on peoples faces when u fly past them pedaling at 40mph
I like to pedal backwards, sitting straight up, as I fly by a pack of spandex with the engine only idling.
Its even more fun on an electric, no noise at all ;-}

I like to pedal backwards, sitting straight up, as I fly by a pack of spandex with the engine only idling.
Its even more fun on an electric, no noise at all ;-}
So true i just got my e bike taken away because i was pedaling past a off duty cop doing 10mph over the speed limit (50 in the 40) the way the cop looked at me was priceless untill he stoped me an asked if i was bionic and had a death wish then he realised it was a ebike and hit me with a speeding ticket and impounded my bike me and him laughed about it the whole time

So true i just got my e bike taken away because i was pedaling past a off duty cop doing 10mph over the speed limit (50 in the 40)
the way the cop looked at me was priceless untill he stoped me an asked if i was bionic and had a death wish
then he realised it was a ebike and hit me with a speeding ticket and impounded my bike me and him laughed about it the whole time
Hehehe, great story but bummer about loosing the bike, you get it back?
The cops where I ride are pretty cool, I don't get hassled even going twice the legal 19 mph limit.
Going over the road speed limit however is not friendly.

Ya i got it back 100$ later i also have another bike with a hub type brake but it works with a lever not the pedals very dangerous i call it mach 1 50+ mph
146619057101244482776.jpg
1466190613215699078558.jpg

I use a coaster brake in combo with a drum brake front wheel seems to stop just fine (still thinking about making a jack shaft type brake or clutch brake as well though).

I like the coaster brake for going downhill . Due to gearing, the drive chain spins [ too ] fast going downhill.
Dragging the coaster brake slows the bike, leaving hands free for steering. I also have Ft + Rear caliper brakes, with a combo lever . I use the combo lever to slow down . In an emergency, I use all 3, with thumb on kill button .

I use a front drum brake and rear coaster brake combo on a 212 cc Micargi Royal I built. I still have been thinking about adding either a disc jack shaft brake or a band clutch brake to it though but otherwise it stops fine. I would definitely be against trusting just a coaster brake to stop a motorized bicycle of any kind though.

I have had 2 new huffy CB hubs give out recently. One issue is the 3 piece hub. The spoke rings are just pressed on , and can't handle the torque. I had one wheel collapse on braking , and both of them kicked back breaking the bearing on the left side. I remedied that by welding a washer to the coaster arm nut to stop the flexing , and used low strength locktite on the threads.

I have had 2 new huffy CB hubs give out recently. One issue is the 3 piece hub. The spoke rings are just pressed on , and can't handle the torque. I had one wheel collapse on braking , and both of them kicked back breaking the bearing on the left side. I remedied that by welding a washer to the coaster arm nut to stop the flexing , and used low strength locktite on the threads.
You mean like this?
20170604_124144.jpg

Yeah that's a huffy wheel. Obvious because the wheel falls apart just by taking the spokes out, and that's with barely any motorized action, the spokes must pull out on the rings radially with just enough force to expand the ring till its ready to quite litteraly slip off. It wouldn't take too much with a hard enough turn to simply pop the hub out of that flange.

Yes, that was also a coaster brake wheel and had failed 2 times (both were new factory wheels right from huffy themselves) on the same left side bearing before I replaced it with a real hub, now the guy can't be found he's riding something like 24/7, with real brakes too on both wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back