Safety COASTER BRAKE horror stories, please add your experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get along with my coaster brake (and added hand brake), but I'm a sloooooowww rider.
For instance, I reach my destination quicker on my pedal bike. Maybe equal time when it's going uphill.

I've ridden this bike for over a year now without (I think) any hard stops.

For anyone who rides faster than this, I'd agree with the OP and avoid coaster brakes.
Like he says, your life is worth more than that.

I could tell some stories about highpower muscle cars with drum brakes too :) Technology is a wonderful thing! Coaster brakes were OK for 1955 :)

I almost killed my self a couple years ago on someone's bike. With just a coaster brake... I replaced a tire, and then took it out for a ride. Down a steep hill with a sharp turn at the bottom. Well, I was pedaling down as fast as I could and the chain snapped. At the bottom I VERY narrowly avoided hitting a car coming the other way and crashed into a building. About 6" from a window. And pretty much completely destroyed the bike and my helmet.

I wasn't happy, friend wasn't happy... and all because of crappy brakes. Avoid coaster brakes at all cost because it almost cost me my head.

Timely tale Chris, no chain no brakes equals near catastrophe.
And we haven't even gotten to the real issue with coaster brakes, fade and failure.

if your coaster brakes or any brakes give out,you can let off throttle the bike will bog down to almost nothing and hit the kill switch and leave clutch engaged and bike will stop right away,the wheel will lock up and skid but the bike should have slowed alot by then.
ive seen people ride bikes with no brakes at all(they had no engine on there bike thou)
and they held there shoe on the tire to stop.

I grew up with the Bendix & New Departure hubs. Just serviced & sold a New Departure awhile back.
I liked their brake systems, but adding the extra speed to a bike, is " putting it to the test !" As a kid, on my J.C. Higgins bike, I would zoom down the road, slam on brakes, while doing a 180°. Once the brake " arm " broke, & the bike & I rolled over several times. Part of growing up !
I definately recommend having an additional front brake if powering a bike !!

Attachments

• Me & bike jpg.jpg
    Me & bike jpg.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 1,063
Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be scared to ride my MB with just a coaster brake... Last night I FINALLY got my bike running well again. And was taking it out for a spin with my GPS. I had it redlined at about 33 to 35mph. Scary fast for a bike.

I tried to ride a coaster brake bike down a long steep dirt road. While it did work, I had to be careful to keep it cool (the brake, not me) I did make the whole trip but damaged the brake from too much heat. This was without a motor and a 175 lb rider on an old adult schwin full sized bike. I can't imagine how a cheap bike brake would have held up on that ride. My point is, the brake is marginal for normal use to begin with, if you motorize, add more brakes!

well tonight on my way home at a cruising speed of approx 40kmh the coaster brake arm decided to wander into the sprocket bolt heads and twist around into a mangled tire smoking halt. My back wheel is totally trashed.... when i got off to inspect damages and think about a repair i noticed the axle was bent, the dropout is also bent back and up. and the brake arm is a mess.... it can probley be made ridable again with just a new wheel...

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?p=222479#post222479

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back