Brakes Coaster Brake Malfunction

Take out the shoes and convert it to a freewheel when your stuck on the side of the road hopefully you have at least a front brake then you can coast home. I used to do this back in the way day when once upon a time freewheels were like gold,then get some hand brakes on there.
Or maybe just get a freewheel rim.
I'm guessing after a while,all coasters will eventually fail like this considering the many miles we are putting in our rides. Or at least it may eventually happen.

^ ^ ^ Thanks for the input, Large; I appreciate it. Happy New Year to you.

Well, before I start wheelsmithing, I wanted to get the thing rideable for a New Year's Day gearhead dealiebob at a friend's house... so I beat on the chain- and seatstays with a block of wood and a hammer. LOL. Throw in some bare-hands wrasslin' and I had a somewhat straight apparatus to chuck my rear wheel back into. I rode it the two miles over to the party where it was well-received then rode it home without incident though favoring the front brake.

I rode it again for a couple of hours this afternoon since it stands to rain the next three days here where I live. The rear brake behaved itself all afternoon and showed no peculiar traits while on a slow, steep downhill test, but still... I'll never be able to trust it. It'll get that original coaster brake hub sometime soon.

Like Dave said, those older Schwinns are tough. They also have a good sense of humor.

:)~

Back