coaster brake not working.

mark20

Local time
10:44 AM
well, i give up. i cant seem to make this thing work!!

the first thing that happened, the cage bearing went loose and destroyed themselves.

after i replaced them it worked fine for a couple of days, but now whenever i apply the brakes the pedals keep moving forward. like its a fixed gear bike.
im not sure whats going on, but i need help. could it be the brake arm not working?

im clueless at this point. (ill upload pictures later)

its a falcon fc-e10

Last edited:
Coaster brakes are not really sufficient to stop a motorized bicycle, the bearings will not last very long. Get front and rear rim brakes or disc brakes and never use a coaster brake again.

Coaster brakes are not really sufficient to stop a motorized bicycle, the bearings will not last very long. Get front and rear rim brakes or disc brakes and never use a coaster brake again.

I mean, im only going around 25mph anyway (country roads, i see like 3 cars at most) the coaster brake is enough for me (im not doing bat s**t crazy stuff all the time)
I ended up buying one off of mzmiami ebay front. Should be better than what i have one it currently (its the shinano cb design, vs the old bendex single clutch design)

Ill get front brakes in the future (when i figure out how to weld up v-brake tabs)

This hub will probably go in the trash

I like the hands free brakes just a 1/3 of a pedal backwards and your slowing down. Sadly I needed gears more than I needed brakes on my gas ped but my e ped is still rockin the rear coaster. If you take your hub apart and clean it then pump it completely full of some really good grease I don't see how coaster brakes are as dangerous as people say. Freewheels get weird and lock up as well. It's not like they are lacking in braking power as they will lock up the tire if you want to. More water proof and dirt proof than any rim brake or disc brake could ever be. My bikes are slow though so maybe they suck if your going over 30?

I like the hands free brakes just a 1/3 of a pedal backwards and your slowing down. Sadly I needed gears more than I needed brakes on my gas ped but my e ped is still rockin the rear coaster. If you take your hub apart and clean it then pump it completely full of some really good grease I don't see how coaster brakes are as dangerous as people say. Freewheels get weird and lock up as well. It's not like they are lacking in braking power as they will lock up the tire if you want to. More water proof and dirt proof than any rim brake or disc brake could ever be. My bikes are slow though so maybe they suck if your going over 30?
probably, i dont see whats wrong with them, if your going like 50-60mph yea, you need better brakes. but mine tops out at 26mph downhill!
i get that if you skid the tire and you cant stop, but you shouldnt need to do that anyway.. (ie dont be trying to hit the world record on the sidewalk where people walk! common sense)
my buddy runs duel rim brakes and when the rims get wet he's got basically no brakes, so, im not sure how there safer?
and im not spending money where i dont need to :D

I have rim brakes and they don't fade when wet??? The pads have slits in them to keep water away, maybe he has them installed the wrong way or something? I use rim brakes even in rain and I stop just fine. But about this water thing, they are still better than disc brakes (Slipping when wet)

I have rim brakes and they don't fade when wet??? The pads have slits in them to keep water away, maybe he has them installed the wrong way or something? I use rim brakes even in rain and I stop just fine. But about this water thing, they are still better than disc brakes (Slipping when wet)
you must have soft pads, as my buddies are bmx style. (much stubbier. but larger)

I don't know if I have soft pads, I only had 2 sets , and they are pretty hard to push, almost like plastic, but I could sink my nails into them. it's a mountain bike btw

I don't know if I have soft pads, I only had 2 sets , and they are pretty hard to push, almost like plastic, but I could sink my nails into them. it's a mountain bike btw
yea, you have mountain bike style pads im guessing. (the ghetto bike had then, there pretty good)
but my buddy runs BMX style

basically these ones

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Just a update, i got the new hub in today. Relaced the wheel and were back up and running!
(Pictures are older, but the bike is still the same thing)

Attachments

• 20191025_170554.jpg
    20191025_170554.jpg
    416.3 KB · Views: 271
  • 20191025_170601_HDR.jpg
    20191025_170601_HDR.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 271
  • 20191025_170609_HDR.jpg
    20191025_170609_HDR.jpg
    329.4 KB · Views: 292
Back