Coaster Brake question, please help

freezeskier332

Local time
4:20 AM
Ok so hears the deal. I have a beach cruiser and i have basically done everything except mount the rear drive sprocket and that is because I have tha coaster break and im not sure how to do it without messing it up. Basically there is this lever type thing that is attached to the wheel that stays fixed for the brake to use, however its practically impossible to get off, what i was thinking about doing was unscrewing the other side and sliding the rod through than attacking it from the other direction. Im guessing someone here has dealt with coaster breaks before and if you could give me any information that would be great.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_9142.jpg
    IMG_9142.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 245
It may be on there tight, but you need to get that nut off, the arm off and the dust cap off. The sprocket will then mount- do not listen to those who say the sprocket hole is too small. It may be too small for the dust cap, but it fits the hub itself well. Grind the edge of the dust cap. Do not grind the sprocket hole- it centers the sprocket.

You ought to be able to get that arm off one way or another.

And I don't like to contradict HoughMade (who's advice has always seemed to be well thought out and useful), but I enlarged my sprocket hole and it seems to work ok. Maybe it's no longer perfectly centered, but I can't tell any difference.

Not saying it doesn't work, just saying that it shouldn't be done unless absolutely necessary. I know it has worked for many people.

Do I have to take the coaster brake off to mount the sprocket? I would really like to keep my coaster brakes because they really stop me fast.

I have coaster brakes, plus calipers front and rear. Coasters can stay on, but I would say that what seems like a fast stop at 15 mph is not so fast at 30 mph. I would consider a front brake of some sort to supplement.

be careful taking the brake apart. start from the side without the arm. then slowly take all that stuff out, cap tightning nut, ball bearings then the whole brake assembly will come off. or should rather. id recommending googling how they are made so you dont break anything

Yeah yesterday I ruined my coaster brake trying to get my sprocket on. I just got really excited that my kit came. Believe me, it was very smart of you to ask. Now I have two options.
1) Go to the bike shop and get a new coaster brake (I'd ask for them to put on the sprocket because I don't want to ruin the brake again)
or
2) Get regular wheels and just buy calipers.
I know you want to keep your brake, so don't rush like I did haha.

i would go with good mtb calipers with good brake pads too, just get a nice ss wheel that can accept calipers and you will have very good brakes. You can even do what i did and get a dual brake lever so i only have to pull one lever to stop.

recommending googling how they are made so you dont break anything

well-not real easy to break

but - keep an eye on where parts come out from
lay parts down in proper order

as long as I have been doing things such as this
I still at times take things apart -- then wonder -- what the heck

my wife can also tell you --
I do not need to read ANY INSTRUCTIONS regarding ANYTHING needing to be put together
until
I start to wonder where the extra parts should have went !!!!

Ride That Thing - Mountainman

Back