Coaster Brake removal..

NewOrleansFlyer

Local time
2:34 AM
I've read the older threads on this, and watched a kid on YouTube make his coaster brake into a "freewheel", but I'm missing something. I'm adding caliper brakes to my bike and want to ditch the coaster brake. I've pulled the brake shoes and added some washers, but when I put it all back together, the pedals don't engage when I pedal forward??? They don't engage going back either, but I need them to get moving prior to popping my clutch and engaging the motor. What am I missing?? As I said, I've pulled the brake shoes, pulled the clutch prongs and spring, added washers, pulled the brake arm and 2 very thin "dust caps". Any help appreciated. Pics help a lot..thanks.

I've never had good luck with those ghetto freewheels. have you tried just continuing to pedal until it engages? there's some lag in a poor man's freewheel when you start to pedal it takes a few rotations to bite

There should be no lag, as the cog is attached to the hub. When the cog is spun forward, the hub should move with it. When I converted a coaster to freewheel, I added 3 washers. It worked perfectly for me. I didn't add a c-brake at the time, just relied on the front drum I was running. I had a genuine shimano coaster hub, and the shoes grabbed so hard it would lock the wheel and I'd fishtail, didn't like that so I converted to freewheel. But I've since upgraded to a moped hub.

Back