Brakes Coaster brake shoe

Although I am capable of overhauling the rear hub, since I am putting around 650 miles per month on my bike, overhauling once a month is not acceptable. I will update my side pull rear brake project comes along tomorrow.

Well I discoverd the side-pull brake is not wide enough to even go over the rear fender and I am not going to cut the rear fender. So back to coaster brake.

I have rim brakes on the back of my ratbike. They were made by schwinn a long long time ago. They clamp onto the seatstays and don't interfer with the fenders. There were some wide armed side pull brakes made for medium weight bikes during the late 50s and 60s. Schwinn corvettes had them. They were made by weinmann. That type of brake might work. If you want to stick with a coaster brake round up an old hub made by bendix, new departure, fitchel and sachs instead of the modern offshore ones.

The temp dropped here today in the northeast and there must have been moisture in my brake cable and it froze a couple of hours ago when I went for a joyride at work :( just means I have to take it easy on my way home tonight (working a 14 hour day today!) also :(

Check the break arm also they will wear out in an oval shape ..I ordered some on ebay they where the heavy duity ones and so far the one I put on is working good.....watch out for the thin ones they will break or bend when they should not.

Cookie

Back