Coaster brake wheel

Regalgse00

Local time
3:20 AM
Are you able to take a coaster brake wheel and just use it as a free spinning wheel and use it for disc brakes

Are you asking if there's a way to mount a left side sprocket and a disc brake on a coaster brake hub? Are you asking about an internal geared hub or a single speed hub?

Ideas may come at you however don't sacrifice strength for expense. With a wheel failure at a high speed, you may not get a do over again. You'd be much better off getting a strong rear wheel; even if it ment a longer wait time before you could ride.

Well pretty much I’d like to put on disc brakes on a spoke wheel. But the wheel is a coaster brake wheel. How can I make that happen. And I’d like to do it the correct way.

Well pretty much I’d like to put on disc brakes on a spoke wheel. But the wheel is a coaster brake wheel. How can I make that happen. And I’d like to do it the correct way.
I wanted to do what you want to do but never did find a cost effective or safe way to do so.

Here is what i did instead...you will still have to buy cables, and a dual pull brake lever for the right side if your using a clutch lever on the left side of the handlebars and unless you can make the frame to caliper adaptors yourself, you will have to add that to the list as well.

Im also posting my pics below of the finished build that was done in January...DAMIEN

This link below will probably work OK for the rear brake caliper adaptor. On mine, I made my own with some help, from 7075 T6 Military grade aircraft aluminum.
For the front caliper adaptor, you may have to ask someone else here since i used a Military jet "Adel" clamp for mine

Here is the dual pull brake lever.

You will also need the 22 tooth, freewheel sprocket for the pedal side of things, You will need a new pedal side chain as well since i doubt the old one will fit the 22 tooth sprocket...i bought the chain at my local bike shop...you will need at minumum a 114 link chain if im not mistaken.

And i got the cables i needed from my local bike shop.
The cost for these 2 mags wheels, plus 2 disk brake calipers and 2 rotors plus 36 tooth rear sprocket is 108.00 US dollars, Thats as cheap as it gets...they are out of stock at the moment but will be back as always.

Attachments

• Adel clamp holding front caliper adaptor to fork. IMG_0349.jpg
    Adel clamp holding front caliper adaptor to fork. IMG_0349.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 190
  • Fabricated Rear Caliper Adaptor IMG_0347.jpg
    Fabricated Rear Caliper Adaptor IMG_0347.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 182
  • Another view of rear caliper adaptor.IMG_0350.jpg
    Another view of rear caliper adaptor.IMG_0350.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_0348.jpg
    IMG_0348.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0352.jpg
    IMG_0352.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0353.jpg
    IMG_0353.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
i mean. There’s mountain bikes with disc brakes on the that have spoke wheels. It looks like they just have a certain hub.

i mean. There’s mountain bikes with disc brakes on the that have spoke wheels. It looks like they just have a certain hub.
Look em up on line for what you have to do to adapt your existing hub and see just how expensive it gets...thats why i went this way instead...added bonus is no more spoke adjustment and heavier duty wheel bearings...DAMIEN

This link just might give you a general idea of what your looking at...lol.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I get it. Those wheels are pricey. But I’m just not getting how you can’t just get your wheel respoked but with a new hub.

Back