coaster brake with sprocket ?

Heading out of town for the weak. I will post some goodies when i get back. It was amazing it barely removed the paint on the dewalt hole saw.
Thanks again for the advise

most coasters? yes...

tho i did have an older bendix coaster that didn't need a larger center-hole, the current "shimano" and "hi-stop" models do.

Has anyone ever seen or made a part like the attached sketch of a coaster brake arm standoff?

It seems like it might work, without bending the arm back and forth

Attachments

• CoasterBrakeExtender.GIF
    CoasterBrakeExtender.GIF
    2.1 KB · Views: 340
  • CoasterBrakeExtenderIso.GIF
    CoasterBrakeExtenderIso.GIF
    1.9 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
Ok, I FINALLY got the arm off and installed the rear sprocket but I pretty much know for a fact that I messed up my bearing adjustment and now it seems that the hub is kinda loose as well. Can I take this to a shop to fix for me?

the bearing adjustment, sure, if you don't know how. buddy up to your local bicycle guy and he'll teach you :)

meantime...avoid damaging miles if possible. do preventive re-greasing about every 200 miles...i've run the same coaster-hub for over 1200 miles with only a few adjustments being necessary. i tore the first one to pieces in only a few hundred, tho, while i learned the lessons ;)

lou: http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=4191

What i do to save time is take my sprocket and dust cover to a local machine shop and have the sprocket bored out to a slip fit over the dust cover. Then i counter sink the sprocket holes out to fit flat head allen bolts that i get at the hardware store (6mm or 8mm what ever size you are using).By doing this you do not have to true up the sprocket because the dust cover will true up the sprocket to hub.I have found that the dust cover is true to the hub.The bolts will give clearance on the coaster brake arm.I have done this over ten times and it has worked great for me.

You Guys Need To Quit Bending Your Brake Arms! B4 Assembling The Sprocket Sandwich, Slightly Counter-sink The Bolt Holes In The Sprocket And Replace The Bolts With Flat Head Machine Screws. No Bending Or Welding Is Reauired And The Brake Arm Remains In The Stock Position.

Back