Coaster brake

I want to add: You can use a coaster brake rim on these bikes. Just don't ever rely on it for a main brake, ever. To much stress from the speeds we do on these to be reliable for a main brake. An always, always, always keep up on maint. and check before every single ride. Most of the cheaper ones use the dirt cap to lock the cone nut down when the brake arm is put on. You have to remove it to get the sprocket on. The easy solution I stole from 4x4 truck manufactures, my dyna front end, lightly crimp the threads ( like on the bearing nut threads on the half shaft up front on a 4x4, you're a mechanic, hope that's enough for you to get what I'm saying) where the cone nut will sit when its all hemmed up. I just grab a pair of needle nose vice grips and lightly knock the point off on the threads all the way around where the cone nut will be. It will keep the nut from backing off every time you use the coaster brake.

I'm not going to try & use coaster brake, but was too lazy to take apart. Plus I got lucky & didn't have to pull brake arm to put sprocket on, I got a set of rim brakes for it.

Back