Coaster Brakes?

aflaclover123

Local time
5:03 PM
Hello, I am looking to build a motorized bike. I was given the idea by a neighbor who built one on a huffy cruiser bike that uses coaster brakes. I was planning on doing this but I was wondering if they were safe. I did some research but I haven't found a definitive answer. Another factor is that I would have to find a cruiser bike that has hand brakes. If it isn't safe, are there any bikes that aren't too expensive that would work well for building a bike?

Coaster brakes will kill you one minute you are putting it on then it locks up and you skid down the road not my preference

I like them:) lol

Have yet to have a failure (that wasn't my fault;)) in over 1,000ish miles (combined)

Just keep them lubed with high temp grease and they are a good brake.... I still recommend using other brakes if your going above 25mph (I can stop on a dime with a coaster brakes anything less than that)

Too many horror stories of folks with only coaster brakes, but all is not lost. See if the bike can take a caliper brake in the front. That is where most of your braking power is going to come from.

Too many horror stories of folks with only coaster brakes, but all is not lost. See if the bike can take a caliper brake in the front. That is where most of your braking power is going to come from.
Do you have any recommendations for bikes?

or, you'll coast right into a bus at 30mph
I've never had a coaster brake failure, but always use protection, install a front brake! It's kinda like keeping a rubber in your wallet and an umbrella in your trunk , cause you never know when you might be screwing in the rain.

I've never had a coaster brake failure, but always use protection, install a front brake! It's kinda like keeping a rubber in your wallet and an umbrella in your trunk , cause you never know when you might be screwing in the rain.
Bad bit is thay do and you don't know when. And for me it's haveing no feeling in a coaster brake. You put a bit on bit more bit more than bang locks up and doesn't come off for a sec. Well you slide for a block. Best thing try for your self then it's up to you.

From your experience can you pinpoint a particular brand that does this? I.e. Huffy, Schwinn, Bendix

From your experience can you pinpoint a particular brand that does this? I.e. Huffy, Schwinn, Bendix

Back