Cold Mornings No Start

sheila

Local time
7:59 PM
I have checked everything from my plug to my head gaskets. Now that it is cold in the mornings (low 60's) my bike won't start. When it is later in the day when it is warm then I have no problem. Am at my wits end. I use my bike to get to work and it is causing me head aches. Any suggestions??

What engine are you dealing with? You haven't mentioned what various choke setting that you have used, if any at all. If you don't have a problem starting when the ambient temperature is warm and only when cold you have a 99% chance of a fuel related problem. High humidity could effect something else, but in AZ I doubt the humidity would be a factor.

Last edited:
I live in Nova Scotia Canada and it can get pretty cold here. I ride all year round. I always have to use the trickle button and full choke to get it to start but they always do

its bordering on being too lean.

caused by either a semi blocked jet, or the jets just too small...

or you have an air leak on the intake somewhere.

or fuel levels too low.

check them areas. clean the carb out. properly. ie, take it apart.

if raising your needle helps(lowering clip by one or two grooves) then youll be wanting the bigger jet. otherwise its one of the other things.

try turning the idle screw in a turn or so, reajust when warm. works for me every time.

try turning the idle screw in a turn or so, reajust when warm. works for me every time.

Ha, good one. Discovered that on the Titan 4 stroke too. I turned the idle down because it sounded so cool and it went from 1 pull to 6. Never thought to try it on the 50cc Tecumseh....cold blooded #%$%^&*^. :D

Heck, I had the same problem with my 2 stroke center mount. Now I just keep it inside at work (not many have that option), I worry about it getting stolen less. And it starts up instantly - I don't have to beat on it, easier on the bike. You know, this isn't a bad solution.

Another good solution for increasing the power of my centermount 2 and 4 stroke bikes - I lost 10 pounds ! Bikes performing better and better - hope I don't die...

Back