Coleman CT200u

Bizzy B

Local time
11:18 AM
Can someone please help me out? I recently purchased a Coleman CT200u for my son. When I got it it seemed like it ran ok. After riding it for a bit the engine shut off. Had to use the choke to get it started which it did. I moved the choke to open and it ran ok. It would shut off when taking off. Thinking the carb has some dirt I removed the carb cleaned it but couldn’t remove the needle. So I purchased a new carb from Amazon. Got it installed and it seemed ok but now it’s sputtering and breaking up when top speed. Cleaned the plug that was black. Took off the carb and cleaned all jets etc. the tank is really clean and no debris seen. Put it back together and still the same. When it’s about to shut off I Close the choke and it runs rough. I’m really at my wits end with this little bike. Can anyone give me some insight? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated…

Something to check.

When the factory paints these gas tanks sometimes they paint the gas tank filler neck. Putting the gas cap on scrapes off paint flecks that clogs up the gas tank filter. Restricting fuel flow

Look at the gas tank filler neck and see if it looks like paint was scraped off by the gas cap.
If it looks like paint flecks were scraped off. Clean out the tank, replace the filter and scrape paint off from around the filler neck where the gas cap goes so it don't happen again.

Thank you. I thought it could be electrical but right When it bogs down, I close the choke and it runs rough but It runs. I tried running it with the choke half closed and at top speed it sputters then shuts off. I noticed the plug was black. If that helps any.

Something to check.

When the factory paints these gas tanks sometimes they paint the gas tank filler neck. Putting the gas cap on scrapes off paint flecks that clogs up the gas tank filter. Restricting fuel flow

Look at the gas tank filler neck and see if it looks like paint was scraped off by the gas cap.
If it looks like paint flecks were scraped off. Clean out the tank, replace the filter and scrape paint off from around the filler neck where the gas cap goes so it don't happen again.
The tank is really clean. I even went and forced air from the gas line to the in tank filter. Took the new carb apart and didn’t see anything restricting. Cleaned it good and still same crap.

The tank is really clean. I even went and forced air from the gas line to the in tank filter. Took the new carb apart and didn’t see anything restricting. Cleaned it good and still same crap.
If the plug is still black, wet, etc., it is running way too rich...Too much fuel, not enough air...Also make sure its not an old plug and is the plug heat range rated for that particular motor and is gapped at the right gap...DAMIEN

If the pluf is still black, wet, etc., it is running way too rich...Too much fuel, not enough air...Also make sure its not an old plug and is the plug heat range rated for that particular motor and is gapped at the right gap...DAMIEN
I mean it’s a newer carb. The plug seems fairly new. Previous owner put in an NGK 7832. I’m going to change the plug anyway. any tips on how to get this thing to run leaner?

I mean it’s a newer carb. The plug seems fairly new. Previous owner put in an NGK 7832. I’m going to change the plug anyway. any tips on how to get this thing to run leaner?
Here is the correct NGK spark plug numbers and the gap listed in the specs in the link below...DAMIEN

NGK (7734 / 7832) BP5ES... .028 thousandths...I would set the gap at .025 and see if that helps it to run better with hotter spark.

Ps...posting some pics of that carbie of all sides et. might be helpfull to see if anything obvious "Jumps" out at us.

Back