Columbia Trike and Hilltopper 250 Watt Kit.

Right On Slickdude, I knew there was someone out there that would know about electrics. Turns out it's your neighbor. Perhaps between the two of you the bike of yer dreams is on it's way.
Big Red.

Well also Carl at the Hilltopper forums has contacted me, lives close so maybe he might get involved. The main thing here is extending the range which is amps only. No need for more speed. 15 is even fine and around the corners you have to slow way down so just range for this project. I am going to look at the Stingray or ;) E-ray project maybe start of next year. That's if everything remains good here.

3 Month Follow Up:

It appears that an affiliate at the Hilltopper Forums don't want to hear about complaints. They get downright demeaning. The problem is after 3 months with limited 3 times a week usage the little red cheap button they sell with the kit is beginning to not like being pushed anymore. When I first got it, the red button stuck and I actually almost got killed by zooming into street traffic on a very busy street. Thank God for foot brakes. I had suggested they get a cheaper battery available as well as an upgrade kit with a twist throttle. Instead they turn it around into an attack post. So okay, I learned and what I learned essentially is that Clean Republic and their Hilltopper product I cannot recommend to any customers anymore. Based on how I have been treated at their forums and also the very cheap quality and possible danger I had also posted in an earlier and honest review of the kit. My recommendation is to goto a beefier kit with a twist throttle if it can be made to work. Please let others know what I have been through to prevent them experiencing this type of treatment.

Sorry to hear about yer problems slickdude. I thought you were going to check into a twist throttle for the thing. I don't know a lot about electric bikes, but isn't a elec. throttle just a potentiometer. I'll send you a link to a electric go cart forum that says you can use a setup from a golf cart.
I had a off/on switch on a scooter once and the thing would get hot, fry and stick, not a good thing. anyway, heres the link. I hope it at least gets you started.
Big Red.
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9700

Thanks BR. I had expected I guess more from that manufacturer, but I guess when it's built cheap you get treated cheaply as a customer. Right now I am wondering if the battery pack can be subbed somehow with a 24volt lithium long range option that is low cost. The red button is just cheap junk they are selling and honestly as far as I'm concerned it has the potential to be very dangerous too.

Hey slickdude, NOW dont'cha wish ya went with a 4 stroke? This is exactly why I use the gassers. Unless yer an electronics expert then how are ya gonna fix it. And if you were an expert then you would know how to hook up a throttle to it. I would be having the same problems if I were using electric. I know almost nothing about electrics.
On your next build go with a 49CC gas engine. Use a large rear sprocket to keep the torque up and the speed down to under 20mph. A 20mph 49CC bike is an easy build. If your next build is a two wheeler then you could go with a little more speed if you want. And 4 strokes are quiet and very dependable and still probably cheaper to build then an electric.
Anyway, ALL this BS is just my opinion. I've always said, It's your bike, build it your way. Better luck on yer next build.
Big Red.
P.S. As long as you're using the throttle "button" you might think about putting an emergency cut off switch beside it. If it sticks again just cut the power completely off BEFORE yer in the middle of traffic. You could use a regular off/on toggle switch, as long as it's rated for the amps you're using.

Last edited:
Okay there is a twist throttle option here. It is a two wire solder job, not bad but this removes one issue. http://www.electricscooterparts.com/throttlessinglespeed.html

The next main issue is to setup an affordable battery option that gets me 11 to 15 miles distance on my etrike with a fast charge. But first will work on the twist throttle option. Since it is a two-wire job should be pretty straight forward.

Controllers

Hey slickdude, This still sounds like just an on/off switch in a twist grip. If I'm reading it right is says it's either open or closed, no in between. I hate to see ya give $20.00 for just another off/on switch, even if it is better looking than a button.
I still think there HAS to be a way to hook up a speed controller. The motor and batteries you're using can't be any different than most motors that have them. I have a controller and twist grip in the shop but never figured how to hook it up, but I never did any research on it either. SOMEWHERE on the net there is a wiring diagram for a setup like this. Have you checked out this section yet? I think this would be a good place to get better answers. If you start a thread here asking how to hook up a speed controller someone will probably know.
http://www.motoredbikes.com/forumdisplay.php?84-Electric-Bikes
Big Red.

A guy at the hilltopper forums claim it is the same as the ezip. My ezip allows throttle of speed. This one should as well. I may build a new mountain bike though I have considered getting a stealth bike. My understanding is that even though they can travel faster than the speed limit, as long as they are ridden at the max speed limit or below, they are still legal to ride. The Stealth Bike is though a 10,000 watt system so it does violate I suppose that portion of the law. What is really funny here is this. If I live in Mexico, Brazil and most European countries I can ride a Stealth Bike legally as transportation. In California the gov is screaming for green energy yet you get the real deal and they threaten you. Go figure huh. I have less rights than a Mexican in Mexico when it comes to a high powered bike for transportation.

You can use all the watts you want. The thing is, over a certain amount and it's an electric motorcycle.

Back