Centrifugal Comet Centrifugal Clutch Question

lowracer

Local time
8:38 PM
I have a Comet centrifugal pulley clutch & yesterday it started acting goofy once warm, wanting to lock up & stall the engine at low rpm's (at engagement). I have it mounted with the pulley inboard & I read somewhere that it can go on both inboard or outboard.
I'm thinking that when it starts spinning fast enough to engage, the shoes want to go outwards away from the bell housing & its causing an out of round situation in there.
If I flip the clutch around the shoes would want to go deeper into the bell housing & not out?
Only problem is I'd have to re-position the engine since the belt wont line perfectly up with the sheave once flipped.
I guess before I either flip it & move everything to try it, I wanna get some feedback on these clutches.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG00177-20101112-1608.jpg
    IMG00177-20101112-1608.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 2,073
I've always known those Comet clutches to go on the shaft either way and always work fine!

Is it a brand new clutch, or has it been in use for a while?

If the clutch has a bushing it might need a drop of oil or two. The max torque has a oil lite bushing that needs to be lubed every now and then could be the same on the comet

Thanks for the replies.
It was used when I bought it & feels like the drum has a bit of play in it.
it worked fine for the 1st 20 miles or so but then started having this problem.
I oiled the bushing before I installed it knowing about the max-torque lube maintenance.
Maybe I should have just bought a new one instead of used merchandise?
-lowracer-

If it had been run 'slipping' under load for a long time, it could have gotten hot enough for the springs to have lost some of their temper and weakened. You might be able to buy spare parts through certified parts corp (they bought hoffco/comet assets when they went under.)

Last edited:
Thanks to those who posted.
Do you think it wise to try & rebuild it or spring (no pun intended) the $49.99 w/free shipping for a brand new Max Torque pulley clutch?
-lowracer-

Back