Comet Torque Converter for sale

I've had this Comet Assymetric compact torque converter sitting on the shelf for a couple years. I had special ordered it in for a guy who never came up with the cash in the end. It cost me over $240.00 Canadian at the time, but I'd be willing to part with it at $160.00 US (a considerable loss) plus shipping. Shipping to the USA would run approx $24.00 and shipping within Canada would be about $16.00 (Canadian buyers would have to pay 6% GST, and Manitoba buyers, an additional 7% PST). It's brand new and has never been out of the box until I snapped the pics today. It has a 10 tooth output sprocket for a # 40 chain. These are incredible little trannys for most 3-6 HP 4-cycle engines. They give you fantastic low end power with amazing top end due to their overdrive ability. The mounting plate bolts right onto the crankcase side cover of most Briggs, Tecumseh, Honda, etc small engines. The primaru clutch is made to fit a 3/4" keyed crankshaft. Thanks for looking.

1548_Picture_069_1.jpg

1548_Picture_070_1.jpg

PS: I am located in Roblin, MB Canada and can be reached at 204-937-2991

Pete

Most sincerely, not trying to be wise here, but to place all in perspective:

It cost me over $240.00 Canadian at the time, but I'd be willing to part with it at $160.00 US (a considerable loss)

What was $240 Canadian a few years ago? Perhaps $173 US?
I see. A $13 (us) loss - OK.
7.5%, perhaps.

Conversion Table: USD to CAD (Interbank rate)

Time period: 05/16/04 to 05/22/04.
Daily averages: 05/16/2004 1.38760
05/17/2004 1.38950
05/18/2004 1.39590
05/19/2004 1.39060
05/20/2004 1.3770
05/21/2004 1.36850
05/22/2004 1.37350

Average (7 days): 1.38323
High: 1.40030
Low: 1.36550

Hi Doc.... when I purchased this unit, the Canadian dollar was worth approx 0.79 USD, so it cost me an actual $189.60 USD at that time from my wholesaler (that was not a retail price). Our Canadian dollar has risen substantially since then and is currently worth around 0.915 USD....so if we were to use todays rate, my cost would be $219.60 in US dollars. So either way, the price I am asking is substantailly less than I paid for it. I did not check the Comet web site to see what these things are presently retailing at, but I'd be surprised if they've gone down in price. Yes, if you wait around, you'll eventually find someone dumping one on ebay for cheap cheap and you might be able to snag one at or around the $102.00 price that was quoted in the torque converter post. It does happen and I sure wouldn't want to discourage anyone from waiting for a huge bargain. However, I see no reason to sell the one I have for that kind of a loss. If I don't get what I want for it, I'll eventually just build something and make use of it. There does seem to be much more to it than just the exhange rates when it comes to the price comparisons of the same merchandise in Canada versus the USA at any given time. Most of the time, if you look at the retail price of any item in Canada, it will often be priced here at another 10-20% over and above what the current US/Canadian exchange rate might have you think it should be. And some items are drastically more......I really gotta quit smoking with cigarettes at twelve bucks a pack. Yours are what? maybe $4.00?

Regards,
Pete

it will often be priced here at another 10-20% over and above what the current US/Canadian exchange rate might have you think it should be. And some items are drastically more......I really gotta quit smoking with cigarettes at twelve bucks a pack. Yours are what? maybe $4.00?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I agree. Exactly my point on the exchange rate.
Twenty [two] percent added is 30% off (plus 21% off that).
Smokes? Yes, take 66% off your price too.

I want to see it mounted.

As stated in my post: "GREAT ! Can't wait for pics of the working finished unit....... ! "

Get it sold !

~DC~

I have a 3-4hp Tecumseh 4 stroke that I'm planning to mount on a bicycle in the near future.

I had to go outside to measure the crank diameter.

3/4".......and its keyed. :D :D :D

I'm a very interested in your torque converter.

Can you send me a sketch or some dimensions of the mounting holes so I can see if it would fit my application? :?

Thanks,
custom

Hiya custom_tecumseh......I'm almost certain it'll bolt right on to your Tecumseh. Could you email me some pics of your engine to triumph@mts.net ? Particularily, the output shaft side as well as the carb. Most of those little engines have the crankcase already drilled and tapped for mounting these kits. When I get your email, I'll send you some pics of the mounting plate with some dimesions sketched in. The only thing I am concerned about is the location of your carburetor because on some engines, it is too close to the output sprocket of the torque-a-verter kit...but I think most Tecumsehs are ok in that respect.

Pete

I'll get those pictures, and take some measurements myself after I get off work later today. :)

Later,
custom

what's going on with this? i have 3/4" keyed shaft on my wisconsin also, so i guess that means i'm interested too.

augidog said:
what's going on with this? i have 3/4" keyed shaft on my wisconsin also, so i guess that means i'm interested too.

I still have the kit, Augie. Custom told me that he found one stateside for the same price I'm asking for mine....and the shipping would likely have been less for him to get one shipped from within the US instead of from Canada. I can't remember the name of the place he said had them so cheap, but you can try pming him to find out where it was. I'm not sure why they'd be so cheap in the USA. Here In Canada, the absolute cheapest place to buy them is from Princess Auto....regularly I think around $279.00, but sometimes on sale for $229.00.

Pete

So is that the smallest torque converter setup or are there smaller ones?

What are the general dimensions of something like that?

front / rear pulley diameters
front / rear pulley widths
distance between pulley shafts

I'm just curios but I can see a possible use for one.

Back