Comments on plug color

I've noticed it's a little harder to get. With fresh gas even sitting overnight the gas changes a bit. Maybe I didn't run it hard enough. It only when it's hot after long periods of wot

I know this thread needs to die, but I'm kind of perplexed. I don't ride WOT. Too fast for me on my china bike. I ride 1/2 to 3/4 throttle which is where (supposedly) the needle makes a big difference. Here is middle setting vs 1 notch richer. I've had before perfectly tea brown color but I think it wasn't fully broken in at that point Idk. Seems like lean vs too rich. Although I don't think it's 'too' rich, there's no build up of oil or anything.

Attachments

• 20220604_225731.jpg
    20220604_225731.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 115
  • 20220607_003305.jpg
    20220607_003305.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 101
I know this thread needs to die, but I'm kind of perplexed. I don't ride WOT. Too fast for me on my china bike. I ride 1/2 to 3/4 throttle which is where (supposedly) the needle makes a big difference. Here is middle setting vs 1 notch richer. I've had before perfectly tea brown color but I think it wasn't fully broken in at that point Idk. Seems like lean vs too rich. Although I don't think it's 'too' rich, there's no build up of oil or anything.
Sometimes carb tuning is like that. Likely you would need to start adjusting needle diameter and taper to really resolve the part throttle fueling any finer than how you have it now. Diameter affecting more of the 1/4 to 1/2 throttle side of things, and taper 1/2 to 3/4 a bit more, but both also affect the other a bit too. Getting into that realm of carb tuning will drive you insane. I've been tuning motorcycle carbs for more than half of my life now, and I still hate getting into that level of fine tuning. Me, personally, I would stick to the one that is just a bit too rich, and if the ambient air temp increases enough you might be able to drop back down to the one that is normally too lean. We are talking 20+ degrees in ambient air temp change at least though. So if it was in the 70's when you got those plug readings, we are talking 90's and above.

Sometimes carb tuning is like that. Likely you would need to start adjusting needle diameter and taper to really resolve the part throttle fueling any finer than how you have it now. Diameter affecting more of the 1/4 to 1/2 throttle side of things, and taper 1/2 to 3/4 a bit more, but both also affect the other a bit too. Getting into that realm of carb tuning will drive you insane. I've been tuning motorcycle carbs for more than half of my life now, and I still hate getting into that level of fine tuning. Me, personally, I would stick to the one that is just a bit too rich, and if the ambient air temp increases enough you might be able to drop back down to the one that is normally too lean. We are talking 20+ degrees in ambient air temp change at least though. So if it was in the 70's when you got those plug readings, we are talking 90's and above.
I wish it was the 70's , even though I was born in the 80's. I'm gonna leave it as it is then, as you said, this s**t can drive you insane and I don't doubt that. I've gone crazy enough coming from the automotive world trying to figure out what every single noise this stupid thing is making. (completely aside from carb tuning discussion)

I just want a reliable-ish bike to jet into town with, I'm not trying to get into some perfectly tuned AF ratio s**t. Slightly rich is ok with me.

Thanks for the input I appreciate it brother(y)

EDIT: I know you were talking temps , I was talking years

I wish it was the 70's , even though I was born in the 80's. I'm gonna leave it as it is then, as you said, this s*** can drive you insane and I don't doubt that. I've gone crazy enough coming from the automotive world trying to figure out what every single noise this stupid thing is making. (completely aside from carb tuning discussion)

I just want a reliable-ish bike to jet into town with, I'm not trying to get into some perfectly tuned AF ratio s***. Slightly rich is ok with me.

Thanks for the input I appreciate it brother(y)
80's child here too lol. I was kind of meaning the ambient air temp though lol.

Even by proper motorcycle standards these engines are just noisy. Loose tolerances and cheap materials. I've had the pleasure of working on a few of the 2 stroke motorcycles from the 70's and even those are pretty darn quiet, especially compared to these engines.

That second plug is about how mine currently looks at part throttle and my bike runs just fine. Long term there could be a chance of excess carbon, but a lot of that can be fought against by running a good high quality oil. The slightly rich will also protect the motor form potential overheating and soft seizures as well.

I have ridiculous amounts of noise from the gear train but I'm not surprised given the backlash, etc.

I assume you're speaking of Japanese engines from the 70s. Japanese used to be the best when it came to anything. Lately not so much, but I can't blame them.

Thanks for the plug comments. I assumed it wasn't terrible. I don't run a high quality oil but I may considering how little amount of fuel these bikes take....

If you had a tan plug that went lean and you can’t get it back to tan it’s in all likelihood an air leak. I’d try crank seals. They’re cheap and easy to change.

I got it back check the last pic. It's dirtier but not lean.

EDIT it's a bad pic but it's not gray or white it's very brown / dark. Doesn't really show in the picture

Yea I. Thought the same with my bike. Idk why the plug get that way but it's probably too hot and not enough fuel to leave any indication. Was size jet I'd. Go up 5 sizes in mm or two jets maybe even 3. You plug is dry and you not. Even getting carbon build up. Below the smoke ring you see at tip of the electrode should be brownish. Still not white ash. My plug is to look the same. Dark blackish dry clean can still see the finish of the metal. From what I know they come stock mostly with a 70. Even when I had my 60-65 jets in my plugs looked nothing like.

Back