• Register now! It's free and easy.
  • Show your bike to the world, upload a photo today!
  • Hi Guest, did you know we have a dark style? It might be easier on the eyes at night time! Try it out here: Style Chooser

Commuting by MotoredBike

G

gone_fishin

i thought it was time to make commuting a real aspect of motoredbiking :cool:

this is an ON-Topic Area...

A

Alaskavan

Right on. Commuting is the reason I got into motored bikes. I'm planning to build a cabin/shop 27 miles out of town and can't see spending the first hour of my working day earning the money for the gas to get me back and forth. If I can make the commute on a vehicle getting 150 mpg, that would save me about $11 a day. x5x28 (I'm not counting on riding in winter or in serious rain), that 's a savings of $1,430 a year. A pretty nice ride will pay for itself pretty fast.
My Trek with the Rack mount was a test. My observations:
1) I am getting between 150 and 200 mpg.
2) I don't think friction drive is a good option for that distance of a commute because of performance in wet weather and tire wear. I do think it would be a good option for someone with a shorter commute, particularly in a drier climate.
3) The motor (43cc Mitsu) is adequate to move me the required distance at a reasonable rate of speed.
I'll be trying other drivetrain and bicycle configuration options.

drimpact

My commute was also the reason I tried this little idea out in the first place. I tried a few times to ride to work, and made it fine. Except for the lack of breath and rubber legs I felt fine. I looked like I had just ridden 200 miles instead of a little over 7. I didn't stop sweating till my chair was so soaked it had its own cooling effect happening. In Short I could do it, but I didn't want to.

Put my first motor on and I got to work almost as fast as the car. Used a gallon of gas in a week and I was never tired when i got there. My cheeks hurt from smiling!, my hands were a little numb from the vibrations and my butt hurt. But no sweat! I could breath and my co-workers are much less worried I will stroke out on them after one of my strenuous rides to work.

Now I ride my road bike for fun and exercise not transportation. I could if I wanted to, but unless my car dies the same week as both my motored bikes, Won't ride it to work!

A

Alaskavan

30 mile commute

Further observations:
1. I need a system that will operate well in somewhat inclement weather. I think/feel that chain drive is the most reliable for my situation.
2. A total of 60 miles a day, some after a strenuous day's work, just won't cut it sitting on an ordinary bike seat. I'm going to have to go recumbent.
3. I will need to haul groceries, gas for generator, propane tank, etc., in a trailer, on a regular basis. 2,2 hp 43cc will not do that at a reasonable speed (30mph). This runs me up against the rules for motor assisted bikes.

G

gone_fishin

not up against the rules of motoredbiking, but up against the laws about it. from what i've heard of your pending build, i think you're on the right tack for your needs and environment...a heavier than usual long hauler, but still as light a vehicle as you can get by with :cool:

your commute is a bit different than most....in the city, you'd need a bicycle-fast-lane for something like that.

A

Alaskavan

It'll pull a trailer at 30, though there will/should be enough storage for a bag of groceries on board. Yeah, I'm going to build what I think is appropriate for my situation.

S

sideshowsideswipe

I commute on the bike about 2 miles from one town to the next, I usually beat my neighbors to the same area because I pause at red lights, I don't wait for them to turn!

due to the brief commute and also some rides to pick up some take out foods at night I go through about a gallon of gas a month. It's getting chilly in the mornings here so lately I've been riding with gloves, ear clips and a scarf on my helmet, I would love to find some biker goggles too.

T

turbo/chaos

well this is cool i was fierd from my extra income job Mc Donalds maitanance
$8 bucks well i start tomarrow at potato shack doing deliverys at $6 bucks an hour plus $1-$1.50 a delivery plus tips not bad since these things get killermpg

well have baskets on back and have down sized my 27 inch rime to a 26inch
mountan bike rim and nobby tire in back for more grip

oh yeah the new city pounder is in progress how dose a 70's model schiwwinn
varsity sound with stock race handel bars and beach tires on a race bike painted like a taxi with a cool authentic old school magneto converted engine powerd light system with one gallon tank under frame set up

god i hope this works later

L

Large Filipino

That trailer I picked up on craigslist for 25 bucks? I hauled 6 cases of water in it the other day just to see if it can do it. Once you're at speed,it's all good. You gotta give some distance though when stopping.

S

smitty

made for commuting

Well I commute on mine daily. Once I got caught in the rain, but that was on the way home, so with ridding slowly, and the hot shower at home ...no problem.

I have a rear basket that I welded to a rack that will just fit a bag of groceries. Recently, I carried 27 lbs. of lead in that basket. ( I had an opportunity to cast some lead hammers.) Also I found that having a basket offers the ability to get a gallon of gasoline for my "mix" without needing a car. I have a one pint "jerry can" in a special clip also welded to the side of the basket in case I neglect my fuel level.

Also fixed to the carrier bracket is a small box containing; lock and cable, bunji cords, nitrile gloves, rag, and room left over for any small items I may need to transport. After reading another thread I realize that I need to put together a tool kit for the box.
-Tried to insert photo: internal servo error.-