Comparisons chain drive to friction drive.

yes -- this thread goes way back

I would think a friction drive would be least prone to vibration of any set up. It actually has a big rubber connection to the bike.

yes -- don't see where friction would be any worse on the spokes
than our body weight ??

broke a couple of spokes right in the beginning of my MB adventure
I was thinking at that time -- oh no is this going to be happening often ??

but -- I haven't broken any since

as we ride those THINGS

Friction Drive Vibration

The one vibration issue I've seen with friction drives is how the roller interacts with the tires - if you have a slick tire, like the Inova swiftor, vibration is just about zero. Or, if using an inverted tread, like the Serfas Drifter or the Continental Town & Country, which both have a 'slick' center portion, the vibration is also very low. Or if you have a tread which runs at 90 degrees to the roller (around the tire, rather than straight across the face of the tire,) your vibration is also low. If the tread runs diagonally across the face of the tire, (Maxxis Hookworm, for instance,) vibration should also be low.

Two other tires which should have low vibration are the Michelin Pilot City and Michelin City tires.

However, IF you're using a tire where the tread pattern across the tire, so that the roller is aligned with the tread (and thus 'falls' in and out of the tread, you'll get vibration. Maybe SERIOUS vibration. The tires that Torques pictures looks like they will allow this vibration. Mountain bike tires can be especially bad. The Kenda Small Block Eight tire would be very bad, for instance.

Attachments

• Serfas Drifter.jpg
    Serfas Drifter.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 1,011
  • Continental TandC.jpg
    Continental TandC.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,118
  • Maxxis Hookworm.jpg
    Maxxis Hookworm.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 961
  • michilen Pilot City.jpg
    michilen Pilot City.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 1,082
  • Michelin City.jpg
    Michelin City.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 1,017
  • InovaSwiftor.jpg
    InovaSwiftor.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 959
  • 7745062945322-2.jpg
    7745062945322-2.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 1,059
Last edited:
Town & Country tires only give slight vibes when you increase spindle pressure a lot. Thats usually how I can tell quickly if my deflection is too great.

Speaking Of Motored Bike Vibration...

Speaking of vibration... I just put a DE TLE43 kit on my bike a couple weeks ago (wish I would've found out about their kit years ago), and after an hour or so my hands are pretty numb from the vibration (just like riding any other 2 stroke, I guess).

Anyways...anyone have a good brand of vibration dampening grips they could recommend? I run Serfas inverted tread and Kenda Kross hybrid slicks, so my tire vibration has been almost intangible. I already bought some medium-padding cycling gloves, and they help...but I've been riding my bike daily (40+ miles) for the last couple weeks and my hands are kind of going perma-numb... Any good grips out there?

Last edited:
Some say to fill the handlebars with lead shot...I have no personal experience, most of my vibration is in the seat for some reason!

That's a pretty good idea Ed! I was kind of wondering if anyone had tried filling their handlebars with some kind of vibration dampening material..

Before I use up my last box of birdshot (ammo is SO expensive right now), I think I'll try experimenting with some thicker, jell-ier grips...maybe even get rid of the racing seat and try something more comfortable..

But if push comes to shove, I'll definitely give your idea a try!

Thanks again,
John

Has anyone tried sand or pouring molten lead inside the bars ? With lead shot, do you pack them in really tight or a little loose. I would think tight. I'm also thinking shot might be better than pouring molten lead in them. I would think shot, even packed tight would still have a tendency to move a little, absorbing a lot of vibration. Just my thoughts. I have bunches of lead ingots along with melting pots and pouring ladels.

I had an aluminum handlebar, my fingers would go numb from vibration. I switched to a steel BMX steel 6 inch handlebar, problem solved.

Speaking of vibrations.....

I have a GP460 friction drive, the high revving little 2-stroke shakes me numb even on very short rides....:sick:I hope you guys come up with a good vibration dampening idea:D

Back