Complete Noob, need install help

T

T_McD

i have perused youtube for hours and found a ton of videos but my lack of knowledge is killing me. does anyone have a link to an install video that goes painfully slow and over explains each step, cuz thats what i need.

I have mounted the engine, installed the sprocket, and attached the chain and tensioner. I am attempting to install the clutch wire and have no clue what I'm doing on the motor side (i have the clutch lever installed and wire attached correctly as it is the same as a brake line). how does the clutch wire feed to the engine and attach to the clutch arm?

Full disclosure: I have zero knowledge of motors and such and that is why i am playing with motorized bikes. Please dumb things down!

You have to attach the cable to the clutch lever before connecting to the engine.. it's really not that difficult. There is a slot in the bottom of the handle where the cable slides in. It attaches Just like your brake cables.

i have the cable attached to the clutch lever, i just don't know how it attaches to the engine. i think it slides thru the bolt with a horizontal eye in it before attaching to the clutch lever, but that part of the videos is always obscured or left out completely. also i am unsure how to secure the cable to the clutch arm; my parts don't match the videos i have seen but i am guessing i use the little brass piece with a set screw?

my biggest issue is the complete lack of instructions combined with my complete lack of experience. I know it can't be that difficult but i don't want to start guessing where things go.

You got it, it goes thru the bolt with the slot in it. Then it slides thru the hole in the clutch arm and that brass collar with the screw lock it in.

Sweet, got er done.

Now am I special or does the spark plug boot have a terrible connection to the spark plug? I never felt it slip into place. Am i missing something again?

Awesome, thanks for everything. Went ahead and made a profile since I will probably have more issues!

Be careful when you have the plate with the clutch arm off. The arm turns pushing in a pin and a small ball bearing that are just sitting in there and they are not held in by anything but that plate with the 3 screws. They can fall out pretty easily and trying to find that small ball bearing is nearly impossible! Happened to me on my first build. I had everything lined up and perfect but it would not work at all. Finally found out that the bearing had fallen out and it was a tottal nightmare. Be careful when the cover is off is all I'm saying.

Haha, already happened! I heard them hit the ground but wasn't sure how to put them back in. ball first then bucking bar is what i saw online.

Next thing on my agenda is to rig up an exhaust hose. I broke the exhaust trying to bend it, so I am going to clean up the broken ends and use a very short piece of flexible pipe to "fix" the exhaust. I have read that not having the muffler can mess with back pressure, so the plan is to keep it as stock as possible while fixing the clearance issues with the pedals.

unless this whole thing is an absolute failure, I am already thinking about the next one. Obviously being more selective about the bike would solve a lot of fitment issues, but I am too cheap and half the fun is MAKING it fit!

Back