Completed DAX TITAN 50cc friction drive project

Steve:

Very nice build!! This is very good info. I just bought the monsterscooter 50CC 2-stroke to use with my (not yet ordered) BMP drive kit. I looked at the Titan but could find no info as to if it would bolt onto the BMP kit without machining or adapters.

I will run this 2 stroke for a bit as it should have more power than the 4 in the same displacement (underline should) but, being from China only time will tell.

I have to say that had I known this would fit, I probably would have went with the Titan.

Ride safe.

Bill

speed ?

Steve:

I got a BMP mount with a two stroke and happy with it except for the noise so I am considering converting to a 4 stroke. What kind of speed are you getting with your Titan and 1.25" roller ?

Thanks

bgoates, what 2 cycle engine are you using ? I was using the Harbor Freight 2 stroke engine. I swaped to a Honda 35cc 4 stroke aboout 2 months ago. I don't remember my 2 stroke being very noisey. Most of what I heard was a high pitch whinning noise from the roller on the tire. Same thing with the Honda 4 stroke. I changed rear tire to a smoother tread and eliminated the noise. I'm planning to remove the Honda and go back to the 2 stroke soon. I have not riden with the 2 stroke and new tire, so I really can't give an accurate evaluation. But I don't think the Honda is much quiter than the 2 stroke.

hi,
concretly, how does de setup like this respond in rainy conditions. ? is il zero power? 50 poourcent? concretly what happens and what do not happen ?

hi,
concretly, how does de setup like this respond in rainy conditions. ? is il zero power? 50 poourcent? concretly what happens and what do not happen ?
Only an 8 year old thread... Well a friction drive will always lose something when wet, it's how friction works when you lubricate it with something (aka you lose some.)

On the flats it's not that bad or noticeable unless trying to accelerate quickly, on hills you'll be pedaling..

Thread necromancy at its finest. Don't try a friction setup with hills and/or rain. You'll be replacing the rear tire every month.

My Staton drive (1.34 roller) with my Zenoah doesn't have the issue you speak of. I have Maxxis Hookworm tires and that may be why it does well in the rain and on hills. I have 726 miles on my current bike with no detectable wear.

This is what my roller looks like, that too may be why.

I need to make a video, proof is always better than comments. LOL. It is supposed to rain tomorrow so if it does I'll get my son to video me.

Attachments

• IMG_20180106_154701.jpg
    IMG_20180106_154701.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 437
Last edited:
Nice build. Where did you get the gas tank on top? I see these engines for sale online but never with a fuel tank, except the Honda 50cc. That tank is black, would it bolt up to this engine using the Honda hardware?

You can buy the tank from vendors , ebay etc. Search googs using 142f fuel tank. Try thatsdax.com or bicycle-engines.com. Honda tank and mounting bracket will work but it's black and fuel level can only be seen by removing the cap. White 142f version you can see fuel level by just looking at it. Also the honda tank fuel nipple is a different size than the one on the OEM carb for the 142f. Makes mating the fuel line tricky.

Back